CX is BOSS!

Cyclocross (CX or "cross") is the fastest growing discipline of cycling.  Why? Because it's fun and addictive.  CX is Boss.  At least it is to me.  Three years ago I would have never said that.  In fact, I think I even said "CX is stupid".

Trying to explain what CX is to someone who's never seen it or raced it can be tricky.  My best description - it's where roadies and mountain bikers meet.  Take a road bike, put knobby tires on it and ride through grass, dirt, mud, sand.  Then get off and run through barriers or up a flight of stairs.  Grab money or even a beer as you pass by hecklers.  All while your heart rate is red-lining.

I went to my first CX race three years ago.  I had just joined MTBNJ and went to the Marty's race at Greystone to watch fellow teammates.  I was just coming off a season of mountain bike racing and after watching the CX race, I thought "how hard can this be?".  I signed up for my first race...on a mountain bike.

I did 2 races that year - SCCX and Horseshoe Scramble.



It was the hardest racing I had ever done.  Granted, I was on a 30 lb full-suspension mountain bike, that probably weighed 35 lbs with all the mud.  I had a blast...and I was hooked.

The following year I bought a CX bike and decided to try a few races.  The more I did, the more I loved it.  Last year I finished 11 races.

While I do still race mountain bikes, my passion has become CX.  The opening race for this season is already done and in the books.  I'm excited about the season ahead. So yeah, CX is BOSS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?