Cured from Sleep Apnea?

I posted a few weeks ago that I no longer needed my CPAP and would be donating to the local hospital.  Some of you reached out asking "how did you get rid of your sleep apnea??" Here's my story.

I have no medical results that fully back this - other than allergy testing and my most recent sleep study.  Could it be coincidence? Possibly.  Will this work for others? Who knows - but this is what worked for me.

Some background first.  I have a slew of food allergies.  And until recently, I was suffering from sleep apnea.

About 6 years ago, after two sleep studies, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was put on a CPAP.  I hated wearing it - and I did not feel refreshed in the morning.  I was mostly wearing it so that my snoring didn't bother Lance.  I discussed my frustrations with my pulmonary doctor in August.  My nightly readings from the CPAP were not alarming and actually quite low. He had some ideas and ordered another sleep study for February.


Meanwhile, I was dealing with some overall achy-ness and lethargy.  It was recommended that I have bloodwork done, including vitamin levels, and allergy re-testing (specifically foods).  My allergy results were high (mostly because I was still consuming these foods despite knowing I was allergic) and had several vitamin deficiencies.  I discussed options with my doctor.  And I decided to cut out everything I am allergic to and do an elimination diet as a confirmation to what I can and can not tolerate.

It was now the end of of February and I was toward the end of my 30 days.  I was also scheduled for my third sleep study.  The results from this sleep study indicated that while I still have sleep issues to sort out, I no longer have sleep apnea.  My snoring has gone to a minimum and sleep study results are too low for a CPAP. 

You don't just get rid of sleep apnea.  A CPAP is not something that cures sleep apnea.  So what happened? There has been discussion among my doctors that the inflammation caused by my food allergies (while still consuming) could be the reason for my snoring.   Eliminating these foods may have caused inflammation to go down, hence my throat not collapsing at night while sleeping.


I have changed my diet a bit, not consuming the foods I know I am allergic to.  Yes, it's hard.  Do I want a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup? Hell yes.  Do I miss Nutella? Damn straight.  But not wearing a CPAP and getting slightly better sleep is worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018