Nittany Recap
How is it that it's been almost three weeks since Nittany?? Jeez...where does the time go? I've been meaning to write up a recap since that weekend, but life has gotten in the way.
Nittany, which was the first CX race of the MAC series, is a big deal. People are hyped for it...me? I was nervous as it's the first race of the season. I was wondering if I was ready. I checked the list of girls registered and recognized 2/3 of them - either from mountain bike races or other CX races and knew the field would be stacked (and large).
Saturday Lance and I arrived early to squat a place for the team tent. We were able to pre-ride the course and check things out. Lance's race went off at 9 am. Mine was at 11 am. I wanted to get in a few laps prior to Lance's race, this way I could watch him and other teammates in the Men's 4/5 race.
I warmed up, got ready and pinned my number. I thought I would have a front row call up since I was registered early - but then realized our start positions were based on last year's MAC standings. Not a biggie - until I realized I was listed under my maiden name. I had a 3rd row start, which I was bummed about.
The start at Nittany is not like most. Instead of a whistle being blown, a traffic light signals the start. It was quiet...and then wham, the field started sprinting. Except the girl in front of me had a delayed start...I remember yelling "move!". And we were off.
The course was awesome. Lots of turns...some power straight aways...good fun.
I didn't know where I was in the pack as there was another race going on. I remember passing some girls here and there...but crossed the finish thinking I was maybe top 10. Imagine my surprise when I found out I was 3rd!
Sunday wasn't much different - the course was run in reverse with an added log over. I had a similar start - but knew I could make my way up. I had a great race - three girls were on my tail and coming for me. I came into the last turn and WHAM! I don't really remember what happened (I was later told I hit a root) but the next thing I knew, I was on the ground...my tubular rolled off the rim and the wheel wasn't spinning. So I ran to the finish. I lost a few spots to finish 8th. Still a great day!
Nittany, which was the first CX race of the MAC series, is a big deal. People are hyped for it...me? I was nervous as it's the first race of the season. I was wondering if I was ready. I checked the list of girls registered and recognized 2/3 of them - either from mountain bike races or other CX races and knew the field would be stacked (and large).
Saturday Lance and I arrived early to squat a place for the team tent. We were able to pre-ride the course and check things out. Lance's race went off at 9 am. Mine was at 11 am. I wanted to get in a few laps prior to Lance's race, this way I could watch him and other teammates in the Men's 4/5 race.
I warmed up, got ready and pinned my number. I thought I would have a front row call up since I was registered early - but then realized our start positions were based on last year's MAC standings. Not a biggie - until I realized I was listed under my maiden name. I had a 3rd row start, which I was bummed about.
The start at Nittany is not like most. Instead of a whistle being blown, a traffic light signals the start. It was quiet...and then wham, the field started sprinting. Except the girl in front of me had a delayed start...I remember yelling "move!". And we were off.
The course was awesome. Lots of turns...some power straight aways...good fun.
I didn't know where I was in the pack as there was another race going on. I remember passing some girls here and there...but crossed the finish thinking I was maybe top 10. Imagine my surprise when I found out I was 3rd!
Sunday wasn't much different - the course was run in reverse with an added log over. I had a similar start - but knew I could make my way up. I had a great race - three girls were on my tail and coming for me. I came into the last turn and WHAM! I don't really remember what happened (I was later told I hit a root) but the next thing I knew, I was on the ground...my tubular rolled off the rim and the wheel wasn't spinning. So I ran to the finish. I lost a few spots to finish 8th. Still a great day!

Comments