Town Hall Recap
Last Saturday Lance and I both headed out to Bethlehem, PA for the Town Hall CX race. I wanted to try a few new races this year, including some of the PACX races. We had never done this race but heard that the venue had a lot of climbing.
We arrived early and met up with some friends. We all looked up the hill...the "St. Luke's Staircase". I thought to myself, "what was I thinking?". I was hoping that my climbing legs wouldn't fail me today.
I did two pre-race warm up laps, inspecting the course for lines I might want to take (or avoid). The climb was going to be interesting - it was still wet with dew, making traction difficult. My plan was to ride the entire climb, but also be prepared to run it if there was a jam up.
Lance's race went off at 9...mine was at 10. So I warmed up on the trainer set near our car and watched his race. The field was about 100 men and Lance had a great race. He finished 3rd - his best finish yet this year. He gave me some pointers as I lined up with the 35 or so girls in my race.
I had a 2nd row start, which I was fine with. I was on the side of the course I wanted to be in and behind a girl who's had really strong starts in the past. The whistle blew and we started up the climb. I was in 4th going up the staircase. I told myself to relax, there is 40 minutes of racing.
Throughout the first lap, I watched the girls in front of me pick lines that I opted not to take. I had two passes on corners that stuck. There were two girls on my wheel...I knew one...the other I thought was a junior based on her kit. She passed me at one point and I realized she was indeed in my class. I was going after her.
I was able to pass on a corner which put me in the lead. I told myself to "relax...you're the leader...don't mess this up". I was able to hold the lead for the remaining 2 laps and won the Women's 3/4 race!
Up next - MAC Whirlybird and NJCup Cooper River
We arrived early and met up with some friends. We all looked up the hill...the "St. Luke's Staircase". I thought to myself, "what was I thinking?". I was hoping that my climbing legs wouldn't fail me today.
I did two pre-race warm up laps, inspecting the course for lines I might want to take (or avoid). The climb was going to be interesting - it was still wet with dew, making traction difficult. My plan was to ride the entire climb, but also be prepared to run it if there was a jam up.
Lance's race went off at 9...mine was at 10. So I warmed up on the trainer set near our car and watched his race. The field was about 100 men and Lance had a great race. He finished 3rd - his best finish yet this year. He gave me some pointers as I lined up with the 35 or so girls in my race.
I had a 2nd row start, which I was fine with. I was on the side of the course I wanted to be in and behind a girl who's had really strong starts in the past. The whistle blew and we started up the climb. I was in 4th going up the staircase. I told myself to relax, there is 40 minutes of racing.
Throughout the first lap, I watched the girls in front of me pick lines that I opted not to take. I had two passes on corners that stuck. There were two girls on my wheel...I knew one...the other I thought was a junior based on her kit. She passed me at one point and I realized she was indeed in my class. I was going after her.
I was able to pass on a corner which put me in the lead. I told myself to "relax...you're the leader...don't mess this up". I was able to hold the lead for the remaining 2 laps and won the Women's 3/4 race!
Up next - MAC Whirlybird and NJCup Cooper River

Comments