2013 Turkey Trot

I'm not a runner.  In fact, I hate running.  I've done two Turkey Trots before.  But only because the UMaine Geology department entered as a team.  I don't remember enjoying the run.  I actually don't remember anything about the run.  That says something.  It was probably cold...and I was probably miserable.  I might have even walked part of it.

Past years we've always been away for Thanksgiving but this year Lance and I were hosting dinner at our house.  As part of this week's running workout, I decided to sign up for the Flemington Turkey Trot for motivation.


I picked up my number and t-shirt last Saturday.  I knew this was the real deal when I noticed a timing chip on the back of the number.

This Turkey Trot is apparently the largest 5K race in New Jersey.  There was expected to be over 6000 participants. I opted to walk from our condo to the start - and back.  This was not only to avoid any traffic but also to make sure my legs didn't seize.


I hopped into the crowd for the start and we started...walking.  I thought "um, this is a run, right?".  Then people started moving and I was running.  I zig-zagged around people, finding someone to chase after, and on to the next person.  People were cheering for us all throughout the course.  It was awesome! The next thing I knew, I was approaching the finish.  Amazing how quick a 5K can go when you're having fun.

I may not be the fastest runner...but I am beyond happy with my results.  I set a personal record for myself - and I even crossed the finish line smiling!  Do I like running now? Nope. But I don't really hate it so much either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?