Bubble CX Recap
Lance and I talked about doing Bubble CX this year as we had a blast at last year's race (I actually won last year). Team Town Cycle put together a great (and technical) course that we were both excited about.
I had no real expectations for this race other than it to be a "training" race. The week prior, Jay made some adjustments made to my CX bike and I wanted to test things out. This would be the perfect course for that.
My race was early so we arrived early in order for me to get a few laps in prior. Yes, the sand was going to be a challenge...and the "stairs" coming into the finish area. It was going to be interesting to see how the race played out. My friend gave me a pep talk while we both warmed up, reminding me that I am indeed a mountain biker, and I will do fine on this course. Bike handling will definitely be a plus.
This year's race was the weekend before Halloween - so costumes were encouraged. And, for those dressed in costume, they were to get a call up for the start. As the Women's A group lined up, I was called to the front row...not in costume. One gal asked about her start since she was in costume...I offered to trade my front row with her, since 1) I wasn't in costume and 2) I don't really like starts.
The whistle blew and we headed into the course. I was midpack when the first girls went down on a corner...then another girl went down on an off-camber spot. Another girl went over the bars on the staircase. I knew then that all I had to do for this race is stay upright.
I managed to stay in 5th place for the race - sometimes closing the gap to 4th and other times pedaling my ass off to put a gap on the girl behind me. I somehow ended up racing for 50 minutes...an extra lap that some...but totally worth it. My first payout and podium in the A races!
Check out Manny's awesome video of BubbleCX.
Up next: Double MAC weekend of Fair Hill and HPCX (November 9th-10th).
I had no real expectations for this race other than it to be a "training" race. The week prior, Jay made some adjustments made to my CX bike and I wanted to test things out. This would be the perfect course for that.
My race was early so we arrived early in order for me to get a few laps in prior. Yes, the sand was going to be a challenge...and the "stairs" coming into the finish area. It was going to be interesting to see how the race played out. My friend gave me a pep talk while we both warmed up, reminding me that I am indeed a mountain biker, and I will do fine on this course. Bike handling will definitely be a plus.
The whistle blew and we headed into the course. I was midpack when the first girls went down on a corner...then another girl went down on an off-camber spot. Another girl went over the bars on the staircase. I knew then that all I had to do for this race is stay upright.
photo by Amy Buterbaugh
Check out Manny's awesome video of BubbleCX.
Up next: Double MAC weekend of Fair Hill and HPCX (November 9th-10th).

Comments