Fair Hill Recap

I first tried the Fair Hill MAC race two years ago when I was first trying CX.  I loved the course and was looking forward to racing there again.  Lance and I were registered last year for Fair Hill but Sandy changed our plans and we had to miss it.  This year I wanted to make sure we did this race.

My race was to go off at 11 - but I wanted to arrive early in order to pre-ride the course.  There wasn't a lot of climbing but a good amount of technical turns that required bike handling skills.  I managed to spend some time pre-riding and figuring out various lines I could take.

I had first call-up and took a spot in the middle.  Others started lining up - there were no lines and we were on gravel.  Then someone shimmied their way to my right...almost brushing elbows with me.  I don't like people around me...and this did not help my proximity anxieties.

photo by Eric G.

I knew that I had to nail the start and get away from everyone.  And I did.  I went for the whole shot.  I later found out that there was some bumping and chaos after the whistle blew...


I managed to stay in 2nd place as Cati passed me early on.  There was a short pitch with two logs.  I knew I could get over them if no one was around.  But with traffic, I attempted to run the hill.  I watched two girls pass me...and thought "oh no...that did NOT just happen".  I regained my position shortly after and in future laps rode the logs.

The third lap in, I felt someone on my wheel.  I kept hearing her name and knew she was waiting for me to make a mistake or slow down.   She and I were going back and forth until she went down down on an off-camber section and I was able to get past her.  As I came around, I watched the Cati go down...and ride into the pit due to a flat.  I was now in 1st place...still with the other girl on my wheel.

As I came into the barriers, I slowed down and took the turns at my pace, picking my lines. I could hear the girl behind me getting frustrated and eager to get around me.  As we came into the last section, I knew it would be a sprint to the finish.  I pedaled my ass off to win the race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?