Kutztown Recap
This was the first time I was racing Kutztown. I didn't know much about the course, other than it was flat. Really flat. I tend to prefer courses that including climbing and more technical features. I wasn't exactly thrilled about Kutztown.
My friend raced the day prior and was texting me the eve of my race. She provided some tips and insights. This course would require some power and cornering. Getting a good position in the start would be key.
We drove out Sunday morning in mist. It was foggy and the ground was wet. I wondered how slick or muddy the course would end up being. I got in two laps prior to the start of the race, noticing two corners that would be tricky. I also noticed that that weren't many places I could pass. So yes, my start was very important. I picked the gear I wanted and took my spot.
The whistle blew and I nailed my start, taking the lead into the course. Yes! I was leading the group when it started to separate. I still had one girl on my wheel - and I knew who she was (she was also on my wheel at HPCX).
We were able to put a nice gap on the rest of the field going into the 2nd lap. After the barriers, I noticed my bike was not handling quite right. I thought "am I flatting? how can this be?!?!". I looked down at my rear tire and it was almost flat. I knew I would have to go into the pit for a wheel change.
I coasted into the pit and I was lucky to have people there who not only helped me change my wheel but kept me calm. I lost a few spots and entered back into the course in 6th position, with two laps remaining.
I got caught behind other classes and racers, passed when I could. I was able to regain two positions and finished 4th. Not bad, all things considered.
My friend raced the day prior and was texting me the eve of my race. She provided some tips and insights. This course would require some power and cornering. Getting a good position in the start would be key.
We drove out Sunday morning in mist. It was foggy and the ground was wet. I wondered how slick or muddy the course would end up being. I got in two laps prior to the start of the race, noticing two corners that would be tricky. I also noticed that that weren't many places I could pass. So yes, my start was very important. I picked the gear I wanted and took my spot.
The whistle blew and I nailed my start, taking the lead into the course. Yes! I was leading the group when it started to separate. I still had one girl on my wheel - and I knew who she was (she was also on my wheel at HPCX).
photo by Bill White
We were able to put a nice gap on the rest of the field going into the 2nd lap. After the barriers, I noticed my bike was not handling quite right. I thought "am I flatting? how can this be?!?!". I looked down at my rear tire and it was almost flat. I knew I would have to go into the pit for a wheel change.
I coasted into the pit and I was lucky to have people there who not only helped me change my wheel but kept me calm. I lost a few spots and entered back into the course in 6th position, with two laps remaining.
photo by Bill White
I got caught behind other classes and racers, passed when I could. I was able to regain two positions and finished 4th. Not bad, all things considered.
Next up - SCCX #1



Comments