2013 in Review

Early in the 2013 season, I had many conversations with Ben about what I wanted to work on for 2013. We talked about trying new things and exploring other cycling options.

I had (well, still have) anxieties about riding within close proximity of others.  I had one bad experience in a crit a few years ago that still leaves me uneasy.  So one goal was to get in with more group rides.  I eventually got the courage to try the Augusta Training Series crits and a road race.  Yes, I got dropped...but I did it.  Is it for me? Not right now but perhaps in the future.

I also competed in three time trials - all in the "Eddy/non-TT" class.  I went in to these with no expectations.  I realized how difficult time trials were in the first minute of the LBI TT.  You had no one around you to gauge your speed.  You had to learn to pace yourself.  You might be lucky to have a carrot in front to chase.  While I did enjoy the time trials, I don't see myself buying a TT bike anytime soon.

I raced three mountain bike races this year - a lot less than I have in the past so I picked my favorite courses/races.  Singlespeed-a-Palooza has one of the best vibes for a party. I mean race.  Despite my mechanical issues, I had a decent race.  I also had good finishes at Waywayanda (rocks!) and French Creek (which has a lot of climbing).  Because of scheduling conflicts, they were the only mountain bike races I entered this year.

I was a new Cat 3CX racer at the start of the season.  I finished a total of 13 CX races this year.  I had some really great races...and some not-so-great races.  Every race I came away with a lesson learned or an experience that had impact on the rider and racer I am becoming.  One of the best parts of CX season - the people.  I will surely miss seeing everyone, every weekend.



I had personal goals set prior to the start of the season - and I was able to accomplish them all.  Full results of my 2013 season are posted here.  I'm already looking forward to 2014 and what adventures lie ahead.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?