Limestone CX at the Kiln Recap
Limestone was the last race of the MAC series...and the last race of the 2013 season for me. Earlier in the week, the meteorologist mentioned a storm coming in for the weekend. I reminded myself that it was too early to panic...As the week continued, Electra was promising to impact the weekend. And possibly impact my race. For some, it wouldn't be a big deal to miss this last race. But for me, it was. I was leading the MAC series and would be wearing the leader's jersey for this race. I was also a candidate to win the entire series. So yeah. It was a big deal to me.
Thursday afternoon the realization set in that the commute out to Macungie, PA could be a nightmare. Lance asked if I wanted to go out Saturday and stay in a hotel near the race. I jumped on this opportunity and booked a room. We packed the car and left Flemington Saturday just as the snow started coming down. When we got up in the morning, everything was coated in ice. We got about 6" of snow with a layer of ice on top. I wondered how we would get to the race - we needed to chisel the car and get to the main roads.
We arrived just before the Men's C race. As we pulled in, I noticed there were no tracks on the course. NONE! No one was able to pre-ride. Or at least chose not to. The men were lining up and they delayed the start - a truck made a pass out to the pit and back and we were able to pre-ride. Or should I say pre-walk. The conditions were challenging. If you veered off the rut, your bike sank and you stopped. This was going to be interesting. We watched the first race go off and as the men entered the untracked sections, they were all off their bike running (well, more walking). I hoped that there were more tracks by the time race went off.
I was undecided whether to ride the mountain bike or the CX bike. I did a complete lap on the mountain bike and thought maybe I would ride that. But at the last moment, I decided to race my CX bike. I figured if it was bad, I would switch out my bike in the pit.
I didn't have one of my best starts. I knew a good start would be key because the transition from pavement to snow might jam everyone up. And it did. But I was able to get around the cluster of bikes and continue riding. I got ahead and was passed about 2/3 into the first lap. I had difficulties getting back on my bike as I would try to run and the bike would just stop. Or sink. It was like riding in sand...the entire time. The bike would float and drift...and have a mind of it's own. But I managed to get enough of a gap on 3rd and finished the race in 2nd place.
Today was one of those "epic" races. I've never raced in conditions like this. It was just as much physically challenging as mentally challenging. But I had fun. And that's what is most important.
Thursday afternoon the realization set in that the commute out to Macungie, PA could be a nightmare. Lance asked if I wanted to go out Saturday and stay in a hotel near the race. I jumped on this opportunity and booked a room. We packed the car and left Flemington Saturday just as the snow started coming down. When we got up in the morning, everything was coated in ice. We got about 6" of snow with a layer of ice on top. I wondered how we would get to the race - we needed to chisel the car and get to the main roads.
We arrived just before the Men's C race. As we pulled in, I noticed there were no tracks on the course. NONE! No one was able to pre-ride. Or at least chose not to. The men were lining up and they delayed the start - a truck made a pass out to the pit and back and we were able to pre-ride. Or should I say pre-walk. The conditions were challenging. If you veered off the rut, your bike sank and you stopped. This was going to be interesting. We watched the first race go off and as the men entered the untracked sections, they were all off their bike running (well, more walking). I hoped that there were more tracks by the time race went off.
I didn't have one of my best starts. I knew a good start would be key because the transition from pavement to snow might jam everyone up. And it did. But I was able to get around the cluster of bikes and continue riding. I got ahead and was passed about 2/3 into the first lap. I had difficulties getting back on my bike as I would try to run and the bike would just stop. Or sink. It was like riding in sand...the entire time. The bike would float and drift...and have a mind of it's own. But I managed to get enough of a gap on 3rd and finished the race in 2nd place.
Today was one of those "epic" races. I've never raced in conditions like this. It was just as much physically challenging as mentally challenging. But I had fun. And that's what is most important.




Comments