SSaP 2014
Yesterday was my 4th Singlespeed-a-Palooza (SSaP). I love this race - Stewart is a blast and Darkhorse Cycles puts on a great venue. The vibe is more relaxed and friendly than some of the other mountain bike races and this was a great way to start the 2014 season.
Going into the race, I had a few personal goals. I wanted to finish top 5 and finish with no mechanicals. My past two races have been...well, sort of disappointing. I wasn't letting this happen again.
The Sport girls lined up last. We all laughed and joked until the horn blew. I kept reminding myself that this wasn't a cross race - I would need to pace myself for the distance and not blow up. The horn blew and we were off. I pedaled down the fire road, hearing the group behind me.
Going into the woods, I knew one girl was right behind me. I just kept pedaling through Major Mike when I noticed a guy approaching me on the trail. He announced "first Sport girl wins the prime" and handed me the prize card. My first prime!
Me and the other girl stayed together, her on my wheel the entire time. I asked a few times if she wanted to pass. She politely declined. We chatted and joked a bit. And at mile 11, we came on to a fire road. She went around me and rode away. I couldn't catch her and knew I had my own race to continue.
I came through the finish 2nd for Sport women. I was beyond excited that I accomplished my goals and managed to land on the podium.
I'm temporarily hanging up my SS (until camp) and now it's time to have fun on my new Lust. See you on the trails!
Going into the race, I had a few personal goals. I wanted to finish top 5 and finish with no mechanicals. My past two races have been...well, sort of disappointing. I wasn't letting this happen again.
The Sport girls lined up last. We all laughed and joked until the horn blew. I kept reminding myself that this wasn't a cross race - I would need to pace myself for the distance and not blow up. The horn blew and we were off. I pedaled down the fire road, hearing the group behind me.
Going into the woods, I knew one girl was right behind me. I just kept pedaling through Major Mike when I noticed a guy approaching me on the trail. He announced "first Sport girl wins the prime" and handed me the prize card. My first prime!
Me and the other girl stayed together, her on my wheel the entire time. I asked a few times if she wanted to pass. She politely declined. We chatted and joked a bit. And at mile 11, we came on to a fire road. She went around me and rode away. I couldn't catch her and knew I had my own race to continue.
I came through the finish 2nd for Sport women. I was beyond excited that I accomplished my goals and managed to land on the podium.
I'm temporarily hanging up my SS (until camp) and now it's time to have fun on my new Lust. See you on the trails!




Comments