Iron Hill Race Report

Since Lance mentioned he was racing Turkey Hill Saturday, I figured I would head to Wawayanda Sunday.  So when he mentioned racing Iron Hill (also Sunday), I was a bit surprised.  I was open to racing Iron Hill since it had been three years since we last raced there.  I remembered the course being flowy with some climbing and the "Mega-Dip".

Leading up to the race, Mother Nature was not kind.  Heavy rain the few days before the race had us all wondering how conditions would be.

We arrived in the morning and parked in the lower lot.  We could see part of the course and watched the Cat 1s and Endurance people attack a punchy technical climb.  As we watched people slide around, we knew the course was going to be slick and challenging.



After warming up, both Lance and I made our way to the start.  It reminded me of a CX race - through a muddy field with deep ruts into the singletrack.  I lined up with lots of familiar faces, laughing about the conditions and how we were nervous about the Mega-Dip.  The whistle blew and we trudged through the field.  I was 4th going into the singletrack and made my way to 3rd position in the "Pick-Your-Adventure" section.

The course was slick and more rocks than I remembered.  I was able to gain 2nd position when my friend had a mechanical issue in a muddy section.  She quickly caught up to me and we rode together for the remainder of the first lap.  We were gaining on 1st place, with her in my view.  I was pushing hard.  Very hard.  I remember my friend saying "Robin, first is right there...".  Then we came to the Mega-Dip.

I heard the volunteers tell me "stay left" as I dropped in, but didn't see two exit lines.  I picked the center line, which was the wrong line.  I got stuck, slid down, and fell.  I watched my friend go around me and ride away into 2nd place.  I was a bit flustered, but pulled myself together and carried on.

photo by Bill White

I came through the feed zone and my friend (and teammate) told me I had a gap on the girl behind me.  I relaxed a bit.  Maybe too much.  I rode cautiously as conditions were changing for the worse.  I fell at the stream crossings and ran through some of the mud sections.



I finished 3rd in my category and 4th overall for both combined fields.  The course was more challenging than I remembered - between the mud, slick rocks, and climbing.  Still a good time.  Especially when you find out that your husband also finished his race with a matching medal.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?