Redemption at the Rumble - JH Recap

Two years ago was the last time I raced at Jungle Habitat.  And it was one of my worst races.  My race was a mechanical disaster.  I dropped my chain seven (yes, 7) times.  At what point do you just give up? While I never gave up, I finished almost dead last, completely frustrated and mentally defeated.

Luke captured my frustration in 2012 with my "Sonic the Hedgehog" face

Last year I didn't race Jungle as it fell on the same weekend as French Creek.  This year I wanted redemption - to finish with no mechanicals.

I saw that this year's course was running reverse of what we've all grown accustom to riding.  I wanted to check out what we would be racing, so Lance and I hopped on the Team Town Cycle pre-ride last Thursday.  It was humid and we had passing showers, which made an already technical course even more challenging.  I was starting to wonder how this race was going to go.

We arrived early Sunday for our race and happy to see that at least the rocks were dry.  Other portions of the course were muddy and provided a different challenge.  I knew that a good start would be critical as once we got into the singletrack, passing would be limited.  The women's field lined up last and I made sure I was in the front row, in a gear I wanted.

The whistle blew and I had the lead.  Then we hit the stream.  I cleared it on both lines during my pre-ride.  Race time, not so much.  I ended up falling and flopping around.  I quickly got myself up, ran up the paved section, and got back on.  My friend asked me if I was ok. Other than being soaking wet, I was fine and ready to "rock".

My friend and I rode together for a good portion of the first lap.  We switched back and forth in position (she was the leader for her age category).  Traffic jammed us up in a few sections but we just plugged along.   I made a pass in Cages, and noticed she wasn't there.  I came down Otter Slide, Luke cheering me on.  I had the lead on the entire field but not sure by how much.

photo by Luke

Going into my second lap, there was less traffic to deal with and I was able to ride clean.  I started to see my Cat 1 teammates and friends out on the course, providing encouragement and cheering.  I had this. I wanted this.  I knew that I needed to get to Warthog and ride my race.  As I passed Luke again, he yelled that I had a huge gap.  And captured my smile.

photo by Luke

I rode more cautiously through Warthog - knowing I had a gap but also didn't want to make a mistake and fumble.  I actually ran the last mud section - CX style!  I not only won my race, but finished 1st overall for the entire women's field.  Definitely met my goal for this race!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?