All Smiles at Try the Track
I was first introduced to track racing two years ago. We heard that there was a world-class velodrome nearby, so Lance and I went to see what it was all about. It was something completely new and I didn't really know what was going on, other than people were going really fast in circles.
Last year we went to a few more races and learned what goes on and what each race is. I was obsessed with the Madison and curious as to what it's like to be on a track. The Valley Preferred Cycling Center offers "Try the Track" clinics three times a year and I signed up for a Try the Track session last May. It was the only date that did not conflict with other life events.
I was so excited to go but Mother Nature had other plans for us that day. Due to the rain, the event was cancelled after an hour. It was enough time for me to see what it was like to ride a track bike - which is a fixed gear. No brakes (for safety reasons) and no coasting (when the wheel is turning, the pedals are turning). I was really disappointed to go home early but planned on returning again.
This year I signed up for the clinic as soon as registration opened. I was watching the weather and counting the days until I returned. We opted to check out the Pro races Friday night, getting pumped that we would be down on the track only a few days later.
And then Sunday came. There were about 20 others signed up for the clinic. We were fitted on track bikes provided by the velodrome and given an overview about track etiquette and rules by pros Andy Lakotash, David Espinoza. Marty Nothstein, and a few other world-ranked cyclists.
We worked on skills, learning how to use the track to accelerate and slow down, and passing. I even rode up the 28 degree banked wall, which seemed so intimidating at first. For someone who has anxiety about riding in groups and racing the road, I felt relaxed and was loving the track. We finished off the clinic with simulated races. I didn't want it to end.
What a day - I think I am still glowing from the experience. I am looking into spending more time on track - which may require yet another bike!
Last year we went to a few more races and learned what goes on and what each race is. I was obsessed with the Madison and curious as to what it's like to be on a track. The Valley Preferred Cycling Center offers "Try the Track" clinics three times a year and I signed up for a Try the Track session last May. It was the only date that did not conflict with other life events.
I was so excited to go but Mother Nature had other plans for us that day. Due to the rain, the event was cancelled after an hour. It was enough time for me to see what it was like to ride a track bike - which is a fixed gear. No brakes (for safety reasons) and no coasting (when the wheel is turning, the pedals are turning). I was really disappointed to go home early but planned on returning again.
This year I signed up for the clinic as soon as registration opened. I was watching the weather and counting the days until I returned. We opted to check out the Pro races Friday night, getting pumped that we would be down on the track only a few days later.
And then Sunday came. There were about 20 others signed up for the clinic. We were fitted on track bikes provided by the velodrome and given an overview about track etiquette and rules by pros Andy Lakotash, David Espinoza. Marty Nothstein, and a few other world-ranked cyclists.
What a day - I think I am still glowing from the experience. I am looking into spending more time on track - which may require yet another bike!




Comments