Bear Creek Race Report

A few weeks ago I got a phone call from Ben.  "I'm just leaving a clinic I did at Bear Creek.  I think you would really benefit from taking it.  And it may give you a chance to see what some of the MASS/Nationals course will be like".  I had considered racing Bear Creek up to that point, but was a bit tentative.  I heard stories about how gnarly the course was.  But this course would also be very similar, if not the same, as the the course for Nationals.  And I didn't want to miss this opportunity.

Lance and I signed up for one of Harlan Price's clinics.  We spent some time working on cornering and skills before heading out onto the trails.  While I didn't see much of the course, I did see the infamous "heckling area" and switchbacks.  Harlan spent time going over which lines you could take through the area and what to be aware of.  I decided I was up for the challenge and registered for the race.

Race day morning I was starting to get nervous.  Ben gave me a pre-race chat and told me to "race my strengths".  That would be climbing.  There was a significant amount of climbing in the course.  That was my plan.  Other than that, relax and have fun.



There was some confusion on when the ladies would be lining up, so my friend and I hung out on the side and made our way in.  I didn't have the position I wanted for the start, but I let it go.  The whistle blew and I saw my friend and another girl take off while I got bumped from the girl next to me.  I held my position and rode away as I heard some grumbling behind me.  Going into the single track I managed to get into 2nd place.  I climbed my way into the lead and just kept going.



I was able to hold onto the lead through all the climbs but my friend caught me in the woods as we started to descend into the heckling area and switchbacks.  Watching her float down the rocks was amazing and I tried to watch her lines.  I lost sight of her in the switchbacks but caught her again as we came in for our 2nd lap.  I managed to get a lead again in the climbs.  And my friend caught me again on the descent.




My friend totally rocked the course (pun intended) and extremely excited for her win.  I proudly finished 2nd for our age group, and 2nd overall.  Somehow I also managed to finish unscathed and in one piece!  The course was probably one of the most challenging courses I've raced - but I loved it and looking forward to Nationals!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?