Bulldog Rump Wrap-Up
I've raced the Bulldog Rump twice. And I only finished once. The last time I raced there was in 2011, and I crashed in the first lap and DNF'd. Usually the race is later in July, and for the past two years I've passed on racing as I'm in the middle of mountain bike camp. This year they moved the date a bit earlier - so I said "why not".
We ride KVSP weekly during camp. I know the park quite well, so when I saw the course map posted, I had a pretty good idea what trails would be included. I didn't sweat it. I was able to get to the park the day before for a Cognition skills clinic and we rode the course after. A few additions, including riding in the cedars along the lake.
I arrived early Sunday morning and found a lot of familiar faces to chat with. I geared up and headed over to the Needle side to warm up, clearing my head. I was late getting to staging - I was in the wrong area and didn't see the access through the field. No biggie. I lined up in the back, with two good friends on each side of me calming my nerves and keeping me laughing.
The whistle blew and I pedaled my way to 3rd place going into the switchback climb. I was anxious to get around the traffic, having to unclip and dab twice. I made a pass midway up and was on the leaders wheel until the meadow after the three sisters. I passed before the cedars and kept pedaling.
I had a great first lap. On the start of the 2nd lap I noticed my front wheel was rattling and saw my thru-axle lever moving. Do I keep riding and hope it holds for the remainder of the race? I was in first and didn't want to take any chances. I pulled over, fixed my wheel and carried on.
We ride KVSP weekly during camp. I know the park quite well, so when I saw the course map posted, I had a pretty good idea what trails would be included. I didn't sweat it. I was able to get to the park the day before for a Cognition skills clinic and we rode the course after. A few additions, including riding in the cedars along the lake.
I arrived early Sunday morning and found a lot of familiar faces to chat with. I geared up and headed over to the Needle side to warm up, clearing my head. I was late getting to staging - I was in the wrong area and didn't see the access through the field. No biggie. I lined up in the back, with two good friends on each side of me calming my nerves and keeping me laughing.
The whistle blew and I pedaled my way to 3rd place going into the switchback climb. I was anxious to get around the traffic, having to unclip and dab twice. I made a pass midway up and was on the leaders wheel until the meadow after the three sisters. I passed before the cedars and kept pedaling.
I had a great first lap. On the start of the 2nd lap I noticed my front wheel was rattling and saw my thru-axle lever moving. Do I keep riding and hope it holds for the remainder of the race? I was in first and didn't want to take any chances. I pulled over, fixed my wheel and carried on.
I was the first female finisher - I won my category as well as the NJ State Championship. Definitely a much better race than my last Bulldog experience!


Comments