Granouge CX 2014

Three years ago I signed up for Granogue as my first CX race - the first one I was racing on a CX bike.  It was the first race of the 2011 season for me.  It was a shock to the system but I loved every minute of it.  Such fond memories of Granogue.  Then the venue disappeared from the CX circuit.

I saw that Granogue would happen this year and was excited about racing there.  So much I was the first female to register in my class.  I talked up the venue still knowing that it would be different promoters and the course would not be the same.  The race is held on the DuPont private estate in Wilmington, Delaware.  The tower is an icon.



We arrived early as Lance's race was at 11 and we wanted to get in a few laps prior to his race.  The sun was still low and the course was wet with dew, making the off-camber sections challenging.  There were a few climbs, one which was a slick run-up.  The course definitely required some handling skills.  The course changed after each race, with sections drying out as the sun popped over the horizon.  By the time Lance was lining up, the course was dusty in sections.

I moved over to the staging area waiting for the previous race to finish.  I assumed there would be call ups.  However I was wrong.  I noticed the girls starting to pick their start positions and I missed the spot I wanted.  Although I was on the opposite side I wanted to be in, I lined up behind someone strong.  Lance warned me that the officials were blowing the whistle immediately after the start instructions and to be prepared.

The whistle blew and there seemed to be some hesitation.  I was getting boxed in for the first corner and watched most of the field go around and start up the climb.  I tried to relax and remind myself I had at least five laps to make some gains.  And I did.

Start of the Women's Elite race - photo by John Giordano

I was now on the hunt for girls to catch.I was able to make quite a few passes in the first three laps.  I had no idea how many girls were in front of me but I knew that the ones I already passed would be on the chase for me.  On the last lap I passed the pit, on my way to the finish.  Someone yelled that I was either in fourth or fifth.

 Chasing Cati - Photo by Bill White

photo by PJFreeman

And fifth place it was.  A fun course with a bunch of positive and encouraging girls to race with.  Loved every moment of that race - including coming home with a payout!


Here is a condensed video of my race

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?