A Better Day - Gloucester Day 2

After hitting my low at Day 1 of Gloucester, I knew I needed to turn my attitude around for Day 2.  At the start of my mountain bike season, I went to see Joe Friel - and he said your attitude going into a race can really have an effect on how your race goes.  I didn't want a repeat of the day before.

We arrived early to check out the Master's race and cheer on a friend.  We picked up our numbers and I pulled my call-up.  Number 1 - which meant after the girls with UCI points lined up, I was first.  Yes! But that also meant that I would be sprinting within the pack of ladies, which has caused anxiety for me in the past.

We pre-rode a lap and the course changed in some areas, added some things and had the same amount of steps and barriers.  I felt good on the pre-ride.  The day was already off to a better start than the day before.

As we were waiting to get on course for another lap, two of my friends rolled up next to me.  I was chatting with one about how awful I felt the day before.  She said to me "remember that article Shane wrote last year about her UCI experience?".  I did remember it.  And it helped give me the courage to get out there again on Day 2.

The day progressed and we watched the races. I watched the start of other races to determine where I wanted to line up and how I would take the first two turns.  Riding in packs is something I've been working on this year, and if I could get through the first few turns with the group, I knew I would be fine.



I warmed up while watching Lance race and mentally prepped for my race.  I made sure I was hydrated and eating throughout the day.  I tried to stay calm.  As I rolled up to staging, I saw two of my friends rolling around and chatting.  I've been lining up and racing with one of the friends since last year, and having her there in Gloucester just made things even better.  I was called up and picked my start - three rows behind Helen Wyman.

The whistle blew and I was in the midst of the pack climbing to the top.  I went around the first corner, making sure I protected my bike with my "elbows out" and into the second corner.  I survived! And then the race began for me.  There was mass chaos at the first set of stairs but I held on.

This may be the only time I'm ever in front of Stacey.  It didn't last long.  Photo by Bill White

Photo by Bill White

Photo by Bill White

I watched girls pass me but I still had other girls around me to race.  And I battled for my position throughout the race.  I made some passes and got passed.  I went out for the last lap, on the leader's lap.  I was never pulled.  And I managed to stay upright with no slips or falls.

Day 2 was a much better experience on all accounts.  Did it start with my attitude? Possibly.  I may have finished in the back of the pack, but I finished.  And overcame a lot of the challenges and disappointments I faced in Day 1.  To me, that was winning.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?