Cooper River CX
I arrived early to Cooper to get out for a pre-ride lap before the first race. While there isn’t any climbing at Cooper River, they made up for it with the amount of turns. I cruised through the first lap, grabbed my number, and met up with my teammates.
This was the first race in a very long time that not only was I lining up with friends but my own teammate. Talk about an incredible (and comforting) feeling. I know that having a teammate in road racing can be beneficial. I'm also learning it can be damn right awesome for CX.
We went out and inspected the course together, warmed up, and got ready for our race. I noticed that my brake lever (that was giving me problems already) was acting up. I should have known this could be an issue as I skid through the tape and broke a stake. No big deal, right?
The start of Cooper River has always spooked me - a road sprint with a 90-degree turn onto the grass. When my number was called, I had the choice of 2nd row. I lined up behind a wheel I trusted and knew. And it was on the side I wanted to be on.
The whistle blew and we bolted onto the course. I had one of my best starts at Cooper River, not hesitating or fearing the turn. As we all approached the first and second turns, girls were sliding, fishtailing and veering all over. I remained calm somehow and kept pedaling. The race was starting to separate and I was holding on with my teammate and another girl.
Orange and Blue together again - photo from Mandi Pearl
The three of us worked together through the first two laps. I struggled on some of the turns with the light transition and my rear brake was acting up. I was in the front of our group, trying to push the pace (or perhaps just keep us going) when I over cooked a turn. I wasn't going to make it without going through the tape and off course. I panicked and grabbed my non-existent brake...and went down.
I knew I was crashing...and hoping that I was no going to bring down my teammate or other gal in the process. They both quickly got around me and pedaled on. I got back up, and another friend came up on me and encouraged me to get back in the race. I pulled myself together and tried to get back with the others. And in the process, went too hard and blew myself up.
I settled down on the last lap, knowing where I was in the race would be where I would finish. I was able to see my teammate and the other gal duke it out for 5th and 6th place. I learned somethings during that race...so that was a win. And, I came home with some scwhag (which will go to repairing my bike). Not too shabby.



Comments