HPCX Double Weekend
I registered for both UCI races at HPCX. I checked the list of ladies registered in my class and knowing the names of the girls registered, I knew it was going to be a tough weekend. I made my goal for Day 1 to not get pulled and finish on the leader’s lap.
I warmed up on the trainer while trying to watch Lance’s race. I arrived at my start and rode around, chatting with the ladies. I had a 3rd row start and picked a wheel I knew to line up behind. The whistle blew and we charged up the paved hill. And then I heard it. That awful sound of carbon “crunching” next to me. I didn’t know what was happening, whether it was a crash or something else, but I’ve learned is never look back.
photo by Barb Foley
I stayed with the group for as long as I could. And then girls started pulling away. I was left riding by myself with a carrot ahead of me me to chase I heard “2 laps to go ladies” and wondered if I was going to make the 80% rule - that is, to not get pulled. I came around for my 6th lap, looked at the race officials and continued on. Yes! I wasn’t pulled. But I had another lap to go.
photo by Ben Tufford
photo by Barb Foley
My race ended up being 51 minutes. One of my longest races of the season. I met my goal of finishing on the leader’s lap. I got some feedback from Ben on my race and learned that I need to pedal more. He said “I know you are tired but you need to keep pedaling”. That was going to be my goal for Day 2.
photo by Barb Foley
Our field was smaller on Day 2. A girl I’ve been racing with this season who finishes a few spots ahead of me was at the start. I made another goal for the Day 2 to race with her and stay on her wheel.
I was with a small group on the first lap, holding on with the wheel I had as my goal. Going into the 2nd lap, she pulled into the pit and I never saw her again. I passed girls with mechanicals and those who flatted. I pedaled every moment I could. Or at least that was how it seemed in my head.
As I approached the barriers I could hear the cheering. I know CX can be painful. But how can you not laugh when you have a crowd like this? Thanks to all who reminded me that this was supposed to be fun.
photos by Barb Foley
While my results on US Cycling may not appear stellar, I was pleased with my race. Every race I’m gaining experience and learning from my mistakes. This weekend I learned a lot about what I need to work on and how to grow. And that’s a win in my books.







Comments