CXMeur 2014
The past few years MTBNJ hosted our CX race in early December as the Horseshoe Scramble. This year we changed it up and moved the race to the former ski resort Craigmeur. Our former races were historically known for mud - this year was no different, at least for my race.
I woke up to the sound of rain in the gutters. Racing in the rain in the warmer months isn't bad. But now the temperatures are dropping and that true CX weather had arrived. We packed up the car and headed north. The rain continued our entire drive.
Earlier in the week I put on my old wheelset with my clincher tires. I hadn't been on those wheels since the beginning of the season. And I hadn't raced on them since last year. How would this go? As we arrived, I suited up in my old geologist rain gear and got out for two laps. I added some air to my tires in fear of pinch flatting, got my bike on the trainer, and warmed up under a pine tree while trying to stay dry.
The women lined up behind the Master's men, shivering in the rain. I remember the official talking to us and then the whistle blew. I don't remember her giving us any warning, and based on the other girls reactions, I think they would agree. I pedaled hard to get into a good position.
I remember entering the off-camber section and sliding all over. As did the girls around me. I watched friends go down...and I went down. It was a matter of who could stay upright and who could pick themselves up off the ground the fastest.
I went back and forth for positions with a friend throughout the race. I looked down at my Garmin mid race and realized it turned off. I had no gauge on how long I was racing. The next lap the officials said three laps to go. I thought "that can't be right". By the next lap, it was down to one as the Master's men were starting to lap us. I was in 1st at this point and had to keep it together for the last lap.
And I did. I watched the other girls on some of the corners, gauging their distance from me. I finished CXMeur with a win.
I woke up to the sound of rain in the gutters. Racing in the rain in the warmer months isn't bad. But now the temperatures are dropping and that true CX weather had arrived. We packed up the car and headed north. The rain continued our entire drive.
Earlier in the week I put on my old wheelset with my clincher tires. I hadn't been on those wheels since the beginning of the season. And I hadn't raced on them since last year. How would this go? As we arrived, I suited up in my old geologist rain gear and got out for two laps. I added some air to my tires in fear of pinch flatting, got my bike on the trainer, and warmed up under a pine tree while trying to stay dry.
Trying to stay warm and dry - photo by Stef McKeon
The women lined up behind the Master's men, shivering in the rain. I remember the official talking to us and then the whistle blew. I don't remember her giving us any warning, and based on the other girls reactions, I think they would agree. I pedaled hard to get into a good position.
Descending near the pavilion - photo by Luke Kelly
These barriers seemed extremely high - photo by Luke Kelly
I remember entering the off-camber section and sliding all over. As did the girls around me. I watched friends go down...and I went down. It was a matter of who could stay upright and who could pick themselves up off the ground the fastest.
Battling the mud - photo by Luke Kelly
I went back and forth for positions with a friend throughout the race. I looked down at my Garmin mid race and realized it turned off. I had no gauge on how long I was racing. The next lap the officials said three laps to go. I thought "that can't be right". By the next lap, it was down to one as the Master's men were starting to lap us. I was in 1st at this point and had to keep it together for the last lap.
And I did. I watched the other girls on some of the corners, gauging their distance from me. I finished CXMeur with a win.
First! photo by Chris "Iggy" Brawley
CXMeur Women's A podium shot - photo by Stef McKeon
I have memories of Craigmeur for a few reasons now - skiing here when I was a kid. It was where we hosted our wedding party in 2012. And now my first win as an Elite racer.






Comments