Fair Hill CX 2014

There's something about Fair Hill.  The mountain bike races and CX course tend to be my favorites. The promoters do a fantastic job and the people make it even better.  I only missed Fair Hill CX once since we started racing (due to Sandy).  I look forward to this CX race every year.

Looking at the registration list, I had to be realistic about my goals.  Some of the fastest locals would be racing.  I saw some familiar names and thought about who's wheel would be my carrot.  I made that my goal.

The course combines a little bit of everything - some climbing, tight corners, off-camber technical areas.  This year's course had the natural fly-over and two sets of barriers, one leading to a run-up.  I spent some time after I arrived on a few of the corners, looking at various lines.  Something I've learned is that the line that is burned into the grass isn't always the best line - especially when the beginner racers start the day.



We began our line-up and I had 2nd row call up.  A friend rolled up next to me and we all noted that it seemed crammed.  Last year at Fair Hill, somehow our start line ended up being one more than it should have and some others got tangled after the whistle blew.  We all looked around and counted eight, which was official.  I tried to relax, knowing the start would be fast and I was surrounded by fast ladies.

The whistle blew and I tried to grab the wheel in front of me.  Laura Van Gilder sprinted past me as if I was standing still.  We entered the grass and I felt good in my position, knowing I had a few laps to make some gains.

Me loves to corner - photo by Bill White

I felt most confident on the off-camber cornering.  Climbing? I had that.  But the run-up? Ugh.  My weakness showed.  Not once, but twice I came into the barriers and run-up with another racer and watched them run past me and on their bikes before me.  Obviously I need to "train my weakness" for next season.

Barrier-fun - photo by Bill White

I ended up finishing 14th out of 21 racers.  Am I disappointed about the two spots I lost on the run-ups? Yes, a little.  But who knows what could have happened in the race.  I managed to stay with a wheel I had in my mind as my carrot, and that is a win.


On our way home, we stopped at the Iron Hill Brewery in Newark, DE.  I haven't been drinking beer (that's another story for another time) but figured because I wasn't racing the next day, I could "treat" myself.  This one is their Jiffy Stout - made with Jiffy peanut butter.  Great way to end the day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?