Write. I Do Not Like.

I’ve never enjoyed writing.  Or reading for that matter either.  I’ve struggled with both since I was in grade school.  I was always a math and science person.  I like numbers and concrete ideas.  In high school I excelled in my math classes and loved my chemistry and physics classes.  English, not so much.  

I went back and forth on what I would pick as a college major but I knew it would be in the science field.  It started as meteorology, then geology, then natural resource management, and eventually back to geology.  I thought majoring in science would eliminate a lot of reading and writing.  

During my senior year at Rutgers I was enrolled in Field Geology, the final class I needed for my major.  A large portion of the semester grade depended on two things - a geologic map and an accompanying paper.  I completely stressed over the paper.  And when I got it back from the TA, I nearly had a melt down.  He pulled me aside and asked “how did you get this far in life writing like this”.  

I will never forget those words.  My TA spent a lot of time with me that semester, organizing and rewriting my final paper.  I somehow managed to pull off an acceptable grade and still make Dean’s List.  Since then, I’ve written two Master’s theses, co-authored published papers (well, they used my data at least), and reviewed countless reports for environmental consulting firms and the Environmental Protection Agency.  And yet, I still consider writing as one of my biggest insecurities.

I sing and dance every day for high school students.  I get up in front of the classroom And yet putting words on paper (or screen) gives me anxiety.   My blog was a way for me to try to overcome this insecurity. With my race season coming to a close, I will still try to write - perhaps tell stories or share experiences.   I may not have the wittiest posts or most creative, but I’m doing something that challenges me.  Writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?