Diagnosis: Sleep Apnea
I was waiting patiently for my insurance to go through for my sleep study. Almost two weeks passed when I got the phone call during my lunch break that I was good-to-go. I think all of Roxbury heard my happiness. The nurse said they would be doing an in-home study and that I needed to make an appointment to get the equipment and go over how it's put on.
I took the first available appointment, which was December 4th at 1 pm. I took a half day to get to the doctor's office. The nurse went over how to put the two chest bands, nose tube, and a watch-like sensor on. She also explained that I needed at least 5 hours of sleep. I was to return the equipment between 8 and 9 am the following morning.
That night I suited up and fell asleep easily. But I didn't stay awake. I was up for an hour shortly after I fell asleep and then I woke up several times during the night. Not that uncommon for me. But when I went to look at the device in the morning, it was a blank screen. I panicked and worried that it didn't record. I dropped off the device and let the nurse know.
She called later that day to say there was data, but it wasn't good. She asked if I had a restless night of sleep. BAH! Isn't that why I'm doing the sleep study?? She said I would have to do the test again. My anxiety shot up. I already took time off from work for the first study and would have to make more arrangements for the 2nd study.
I took the next available appointment, which was this past Tuesday (December 9th). No stress on getting the test done, right? I drank a cup of chamomile tea before bed. I dozed off during Rudolph on TV and went to bed. I woke up at 11:30. And didn't fall back asleep until 4. And I needed to get up at 5 for work. So needless to say, I was a mess Wednesday morning.
I had scheduled a follow-up appointment for Friday, the 12th. I thought they would call after realizing my 2nd test was lousy but they didn't. In fact, I got a confirmation phone call for the appointment.
I arrived yesterday with the idea that I would be making an appointment to stay in the hospital for a study. The doctor explained to me that during the first test, I never fell into a deep sleep. And while the second study didn't have a lot of data, they had just enough to see I do indeed have sleep apnea. And if I was able to sleep the nigh, they would have had more than enough data.
So I do indeed have a sleep disorder - sleep apnea. I am now waiting approval for a CPAP and hopefully on track to feeling rested.
I took the first available appointment, which was December 4th at 1 pm. I took a half day to get to the doctor's office. The nurse went over how to put the two chest bands, nose tube, and a watch-like sensor on. She also explained that I needed at least 5 hours of sleep. I was to return the equipment between 8 and 9 am the following morning.
That night I suited up and fell asleep easily. But I didn't stay awake. I was up for an hour shortly after I fell asleep and then I woke up several times during the night. Not that uncommon for me. But when I went to look at the device in the morning, it was a blank screen. I panicked and worried that it didn't record. I dropped off the device and let the nurse know.
She called later that day to say there was data, but it wasn't good. She asked if I had a restless night of sleep. BAH! Isn't that why I'm doing the sleep study?? She said I would have to do the test again. My anxiety shot up. I already took time off from work for the first study and would have to make more arrangements for the 2nd study.
I took the next available appointment, which was this past Tuesday (December 9th). No stress on getting the test done, right? I drank a cup of chamomile tea before bed. I dozed off during Rudolph on TV and went to bed. I woke up at 11:30. And didn't fall back asleep until 4. And I needed to get up at 5 for work. So needless to say, I was a mess Wednesday morning.
I had scheduled a follow-up appointment for Friday, the 12th. I thought they would call after realizing my 2nd test was lousy but they didn't. In fact, I got a confirmation phone call for the appointment.
I arrived yesterday with the idea that I would be making an appointment to stay in the hospital for a study. The doctor explained to me that during the first test, I never fell into a deep sleep. And while the second study didn't have a lot of data, they had just enough to see I do indeed have sleep apnea. And if I was able to sleep the nigh, they would have had more than enough data.
So I do indeed have a sleep disorder - sleep apnea. I am now waiting approval for a CPAP and hopefully on track to feeling rested.

Comments