Adjusting to the CPAP

Some have asked "how's the CPAP working out??" It's been almost a month.  And, it's been an adjustment to say the least.  When I first got the machine, I was coming down with a cold.  On top of trying to breathe with tubes in my nose, I was congested.  So the first week I barely wore it - I couldn't breathe through my nose and the mask I chose doesn't allow me to breathe through my mouth.  Once I was able to breathe through my nose, I then developed one of those annoying tickle coughs that would wake me up.  Going into the second week with the CPAP, I was ready to give it back to the doctor.

new bedroom decor

Going into the third week, I was still having issues with my mouth opening during the night (even with a chin strap) and the head gear shifting during the night.  Getting the mask and tubing to fit just right was a challenge.  I would wake up to the sound of air whistling in my nose or my nostrils hurting.  There were a few nights I ripped it off my head and went back to bed.  And I would snore...

I was really disappointed.  People told me how wonderful the CPAP was and how it would change my life.  Is it? No.  Not yet at least.  I still wake up during the nigh.  I still have bad afternoons where I'm drowsy driving home from work.  But...

During the last week of sleep, things seemed better.  I am noticing that I am sleeping longer before waking up, and I'm waking up less times during the night.  My sleep isn't as interrupted (with the exception of two felines).  I don't snore, keep Lance awake, or wake up with a sore throat.  So these are positive things indeed.  

I have my first doctor's appointment with data next week.  We'll see what he says and I am considering getting a different mask to try.  Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?