Singlespeed-a-Palooza 2015

Singlespeed-a-Palooza (SSaP) hosted by Darkhorse Cycles is one of my favorite races and I look forward to it every year.  This would be my 5th year competing in the race but would be my first year racing in the Women's Open category.

It would be my first race of the season after what seemed to be a never-ending winter.  I have a rigid singlespeed (SS) that I normally ride for camp and every once in a while will dust it off for a ride.  Due a busy fall of CX and what seemed to be a never-ending winter, I hadn't touched this since last summer.  I had every intention of riding over my spring break but between the rain and a stomach virus that wiped me out, I got out once.  The wheels turned and things seemed ok for the short ride I did.

This year the SSaP course was announced to be 30 or so miles.  Other than a 4-hour endurance race I did a few years ago, this would be the longest I had ever raced.   Up until now, most of my mountain bike races are in the 1.5 to 2-hour range.  While Stewart isn't the most technical or challenging place to ride, being on a rigid SS for that long could be...painful?  But SSaP is always a good time and I was looking forward to the challenge.
SSaP 2015 Women's Open
I arrived early and picked up my registration packet.  Seeing friends while getting ready helped ease any nerves I had about the race.  I lined up with the other Open Women, in front of all the Sport Men.  Great.  Was I going to be plowed over by the men? I laughed and chatted with the ladies and the horn blew.

One thing I've realized with riding (and racing) a SS is sometimes your gearing is awesome and sometimes it's not.  I was running 33x19 and spinning like a hamster on the road but as we started climbing I was happy with the gearing. As we made our way into the singletrack, I was in the middle of train of girls.

Pain train - photo by Luke Kelly
Luke Kelly making me look pro
We popped out onto the road and I could feel another girl trying to draft off me.  Me?! She then dropped her bottle and backed off.  I chatted with another friend as we spun down the road and entered into the field.  One thing I've learned, you don't get points for staying on the bike - it's how fast you get through a section.  I saw people ahead getting bogged down in the mud and I opted to run it.

Smiling for the photographer Luke Kelly
I managed to ride with another friend through half the race.  The Sport Men were catching us, but all called out their pass and always thanked us as they got by.   My friend and I were together past the neutral feed zone.  Just past the feed zone (around mile 16) we both got off our bikes to run up a hill and the valve on my Camelback got stuck on me as I got back on the bike.  It ripped out and all my drink drained.  Great. Now I had nothing to drink for 14 miles.

I plugged away chasing her wheel.  Around mile 20 we got to the abandoned truck where there were some short punchy climbs and quick descents. At this point, my rear brake was shot - and had to rely more on my front brake.  My friend was in my sight on a descent.  I grabbed the brakes...too much front break and crashed hard.  So hard that I let out a grunt and the two guys behind me asked if I was ok.  I told them I thought so, checked to make sure nothing was broken, cleaned myself off, and noticed I was all alone.  My friend was gone.

I was sore.  Out of water.  And in no-man's land.  The thought of bailing crossed my mind.  But I plugged away knowing the girl behind me would be on my tail soon.  At mile 24 my Garmin shut off.  I knew I had 6 miles to go and the last stretch was 3 miles.  Having raced at Stewart a few times, I knew some of the landmarks and where I was.

I crossed the finish line in 3 hours.  I managed to pull off a 5th place finish, which I later found out I was a little over 2 minutes behind 4th place.  If I didn't have the mishaps, could I have pulled off a better finish? Maybe, but I am still happy with 5th place.   And I am happy to ride my full-suspension bike again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?