Oh How Does My Garden Grow...

Growing up, my parents always had a garden.  However, I am not allowed to have a garden at our condo.  Nor am I allowed to have any potted plants on our deck.  So I opted to get a plot at our community garden.

Gardening in my bikini
I've passed the garden numerous times while riding and always thought about getting a plot.  But it was one of those things that always seemed to get pushed aside and it was too late in the season.  Not this year. I emailed the contact in March for information and in early April I paid my $30 and picked out my plot.


I was anxious to get moving on my plot.  The community garden is relatively new and my plot hadn't been used or set up.  So I had to start from scratch.  That meant ripping out all of the grass.  Since I didn't have any tools, I borrowed some from school and got started.  .

Starting from scratch on my plot
It wasn't easy.  In fact, I'm pretty sure some foul words came out of my mouth.  The first day I spent almost an hour and a half getting a 2' by 2' square done.  And of course I had an audience watching me.(the garden "mayor").

An hour and a half and this is all I got?!
During that week I received an email about a community garden meet and greet - and we would also discuss "the vole problem".   I'll save the vole issue for another post but some of the other members suggested we chip in and rent a rototiller and get some topsoil delivered.  I was all for that!  Time is money and $33 for my plot to be fixed? Sure thing!

Due to my schedule and freaky weather in late April, I was only able to get my plot situated.  I spent some time moving around the soil and getting some of the weeds out.  I also picked up some new gardening gloves, my own buckets and thought about what I wanted to plant.  I couldn't wait to get moving on my garden!

My new and improved plot
On Monday I planted three varieties of tomato plants as well as zucchini, beet, and cucumber seeds.  I want to put in some marigolds and other herbs along the border.  Now I just have to water and wait...and watch for voles (which will be another post).

Water and patiently wait

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?