Rumble in the Jungle 2015
The night before the race we had some storms pass through, dumping rain. The morning of the race things were wet and foggy, making the rocky course slick. Everything I had in my head leading up to the race just changed. I knew it was going to be a matter of trying to stay upright and finish.
The sun came out before my race, making it a steamy hot start. I tried to stay hydrated and in the shade before lining up. I heard people talking about how slick the rocks were and to be careful. The women lined up in the back and I wanted a good start. I had the whole shot going into the woods and got in front. I knew someone was behind me but unsure of who. I realized it was Ellen, someone who has been a mentor and role model to me. She is one of the smoothest riders I know - and she knows how to ride Jungle.
![]() |
| Off the front with Ellen - photo by Ben Tufford |
I started to gain confidence and speed descending on Otter Slide when my front tire washed out on an off-camber rock. And I hit the ground. Hard. Really hard. I remember the bridge of my nose hitting a rock and letting out with a loud "ugh". The guy behind me stopped to see if I was ok and helped me up. I checked my face for blood and made sure I had all of my teeth. I saw a gash on my elbow with blood running down. Not too bad. And then I felt my ribs hurting. Could I breathe? Yes. I was in first place. I wanted this - and decided to try to continue. I had to put my chain back on but managed to get going again before anyone else came down the trail.
I was hurting. Could I finish? I kept telling myself to relax and I could ride this. I passed Luke and told him I crashed hard. He cheered me on and I kept moving. I must have looked in pain as I came through the first lap. I remember people encouraging me to keep going.
![]() |
| photo by Stef McKeon |
I finished. I don't know how I did it. I think I was somewhat delirious when I crossed the line. I taking water from the volunteers and rolling over to First Aid. As they were cleaning out my wounds, I felt nauseous and dizzy. Either the heat caught up or the pain. But nothing a few tacos and water couldn't cure.
I ended up winning for the day and taking home the NJ State Championship medal for the Cat 1 Women 15-39. And looking at the Results, it was a close race with the other two girls right behind me. I applaud anyone who showed up to race let alone finish. It was a tough day out there.
![]() |
| BJ and the ladies of Cat 1 |
Many thanks to Team Town Cycle and all the volunteers for putting on a stellar race!!!!





Comments