Hippo CX(ing) 2015
Hippo CX. Did ya see the hippo? Or any of Lance's videos? This one is my favorite because, well, the pig is awesome.
Lance and the Pure Energy/Bridge Velo crew put in a ton of work prepping for their first Hippo CX race. Even I didn't have an inside edge to what the course was going to be like, other than it was on a farm outside of Lambertville.
I was trying to get revved up the week leading into Hippo CX but had a lot on my mind that week. The day before the race I was able to get on the course and give it a go but my mind was elsewhere. That evening our team received news that we were all dreading.
The morning of the race I was unsure if I even wanted to race, with all of the emotions I was struggling to deal with. I figured I would try to race and if I found I couldn't, I would ride over to the beer tent. Somehow I was able to race despite my heart not being 100% there.
We had a great showing of ladies for the 1/2/3 race, of which almost all I knew. Spirits were positive and jolly at the start and I was able to somehow pull it together. I didn't have the greatest start and found myself towards the back in the prologue.
As we entered the climbs, I made my passes, pushing hard. I made my way to 2nd position and held it. A million thoughts were going through my mind...someone once said it would be awesome to actually "hear" what we are thinking during a race. I can attest that "this really hurts"..."keep pedaling"..."ride clean"..."where is 3rd place"...were all going through my mind. And my teammate and friend, Schilling, was also on my mind.
I finished 2nd. I gave it my all and appreciate all who cheered me on and provided words of encouragement (and gentle heckling). It was definitely a tough day - physically and emotionally. I'm grateful to be part of such a loving cycling community.
Lance and the Pure Energy/Bridge Velo crew put in a ton of work prepping for their first Hippo CX race. Even I didn't have an inside edge to what the course was going to be like, other than it was on a farm outside of Lambertville.
I was trying to get revved up the week leading into Hippo CX but had a lot on my mind that week. The day before the race I was able to get on the course and give it a go but my mind was elsewhere. That evening our team received news that we were all dreading.
The morning of the race I was unsure if I even wanted to race, with all of the emotions I was struggling to deal with. I figured I would try to race and if I found I couldn't, I would ride over to the beer tent. Somehow I was able to race despite my heart not being 100% there.
We had a great showing of ladies for the 1/2/3 race, of which almost all I knew. Spirits were positive and jolly at the start and I was able to somehow pull it together. I didn't have the greatest start and found myself towards the back in the prologue.
As we entered the climbs, I made my passes, pushing hard. I made my way to 2nd position and held it. A million thoughts were going through my mind...someone once said it would be awesome to actually "hear" what we are thinking during a race. I can attest that "this really hurts"..."keep pedaling"..."ride clean"..."where is 3rd place"...were all going through my mind. And my teammate and friend, Schilling, was also on my mind.
I finished 2nd. I gave it my all and appreciate all who cheered me on and provided words of encouragement (and gentle heckling). It was definitely a tough day - physically and emotionally. I'm grateful to be part of such a loving cycling community.




Comments