Town Hall CX 2015

My first Town Hall (TH) race was two years ago. I heard that there was a lot of climbing.  No big deal, right? My climbing legs didn't fail me that day and I enjoyed the course.  Last year we missed TH for Gloucester but this year...I was back.


I arrived early and was able to get out for a few pre-race laps.  It was misty, making the grass slick as well as the little wooden steps on St. Luke's Staircase.  I practiced different lines, knowing that if it stayed wet, it would be a place that would bottleneck.

By the time our race lined up, the sun was shining and the temps were rising. I had a first row call up, lining up next to some of my favorite ladies.  The mood was calm and ladies were laughing.  Before I knew it, the whistle blew and we charged up the staircase.

Somehow I found myself toward the back of the group but cleaned the little steps with no problem.  I made my way up, passing friends who gave me shouts of encouragement.  That's the thing about these girls - they are so nice and supportive.  They cheer you on as you pass or if you fall, they are asking "are you ok".  I love racing with them.

photo by B. Tufford
I eventually found myself in 4th place.  I came around a corner hot and grabbed my brakes.  My new hydraulic disk brakes, that I was still adjusting to.  My rear tire locked up and I spun around.  My chain dropped and I watched a few girls creep up on me and were biting at my wheel.  I tried not to panic and regain my composure. I gained a spot back but was now in 5th place behind a friend.

Photo by B. Tufford
We raced the rest of the race together.  I could never get past her and finished 5th.  While I was a bit bummed about my sloppy riding I had the best experience out there with the girls.


I enjoyed hanging with peeps after the race, enjoying my gluten-free beer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?