Whirlybird CX 2015

This year's location for Whirlybird was different than the previous few years.  I recognized "Bryn" in the location, and thought it was going to be at the same location as when Lance first raced in 2011.  I plugged in the address in my GPS the morning of the race.  Drove through beautiful Bucks County, PA but noticed some of the scenery was different.  As I pulled into the race venue, I realized I was at Bryn Athyn College...and not Bryn Mawr College.  Who knew there were so many "Bryn" colleges in PA?

I arrived early enough to watch the other women's races, which I had a few friends to cheer for.  I got in a lap before I made my way out to the woods to watch the ladies tackle the log.  I did two more laps in between races and knew the straight-aways on the course would be tough for me.  I was excited for the switchbacks and woods, knowing that could be a plus for me.


Our Elite field was small due to DCCX pulling a lot of ladies.  Don't be fooled though - our field was a competitive field and I knew it was going to be a FAST race.  I had two ladies in my head that would be my carrots.  I practiced the start and waited for our call up.

I had one of my better starts and found myself mid-pack with the women for part of the first lap.  I settled in behind one of my carrots and another friend and I tried to work together to chase her.  I tried pushing a harder gear, even when it hurt the most.  We rotated back and forth trying to bridge the gap.  This was racing!
Pain face - photo by B. White
Working together to bridge the gap - photo by B. White
My friend and I never caught that carrot, but I had the best time chasing and racing.  I learned a few things about myself and what I need to improve for future races.  I ended up finishing 7th - which I'm more than happy with.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?