Bubble CX 2015

I registered for this year's Bubble CX, knowing it would be at the Bubbling Springs park.  I've raced there twice in the past and loved the course.  Well, most of it.  There is a long section of sand along the lake that I could do without, but I still signed up for the fun.

My start number since I'm now leading the NJ Cup Series (no pressure)
I arrived at the venue just in time to get out on the course for a pre-ride.  The course had a lot of similar features from the previous times I raced there.  I got to the sand areas and YES, the promoters added some more sand (insert big sigh here). The first section required remounting in the sand.  I thought about how awkward that could be, losing momentum and sinking.  I thought about running it.  The second section was the notorious long section.  Providing I didn't get hung up behind someone, I was able to ride the entire length.  

There was a somewhat-steep dirt descent that I practiced a few times, picking various lines.  I think I actually let out with a "weeee" as I went down each time.  I checked out the start, inspecting for any potholes and picked a gear.  I knew it was going to be a fast first lap as there was a $150 prime on the line.  

This may be the only time I'm ahead of LVG in a sprint.  It didn't last long.
And that first lap was indeed fast.  I was able to hold on for a while - until the sand.   Did I mention I hate running...and I especially through sand. I think my heart rate was the highest running that first section of sand.  I couldn't recover as I had to trudge through the second part of sand and climb into the woods.  I made my way into 4th place but knew two girls were behind me chasing.

Trying to find the best line - photo by B. Boyle
I remember hearing "three laps to go, ladies' and thought about how to conserve energy but still keep a gap on the girls behind me.  However, on the last lap I started to fade.  I knew the girl behind me was closing that gap and getting too close.  I fumbled in the sand and had to run both parts.  I was exhausted and could hear her right behind me.  She got me at the barriers and passed me and never looked back.  I crossed the finish line in 5th place.

Trying to catch my breath at the finish while saying high to the next generation of CX racers
photo by I. Diovisalvo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?