Fair Hill CX 2015

I started my double weekend with a trip down to Maryland.  I arrived in time to jump on the course before the 10 am ladies lined up.  The course had similarities to previous years, some off-camber sections and fun, flowy turns.  The run-up I dreaded was completely rideable but another set of barriers were waiting for me at the top of the hill.  As I finished up my early pre-ride, it started drizzling.  Enough to make things damp.  After watching a few of the 10 am race, I grabbed my number then headed to my car to try to dry out.


I was wondering how the conditions may deteriorate as the rain continued.  The off-camber sections could get very slick.  And the hill I could ride earlier may become too slick to ride.  The rain stopped and I set up my trainer to watch others race.  I noticed a few people riding around the parking lot and field.  I finished up my warm-up, put my B-bike in the pit and decided to check out one last section of the course before lining up.

As I rode down the gravel road in the parking area, I must have hit something as my tire was almost instantly flat.  I got off and felt the wheel.  Some foul language came out of my mouth as I turned around and walked briskly back to my car.  I borrowed a friend's pump only to realize there was a larger gash on the sidewall.  I would need to ride my B-bike for the race.

Not a big deal, right? Well, it was for me.  I haven't been on that bike all year with the exception of the trainer.  I was used to my race bike, which has hydraulic disk brakes.  My B-bike has canti brake.  I kept myself from having a meltdown over the situation and lined up at the start.  The official went over the start protocol.  He reminded us that we would be racing for 50 minutes and that the 80% rule would be in effect.  Looking around at the super fast ladies I was lined up with, my goal was not get pulled and finish on the lead lap.

I didn't have my best start.  I knew it was going to be a fast, start but holy hell.  I pedaled hard and grabbed onto a few friends' wheels.  I realized that while my B-bike felt a bit different, it still rode just fine.  And brakes? I don't think I really touched them.

My B-bike and me - photo by B. White

Pain train - photo by B. White
I raced with my friends, jockeying back and forth for positions.  I heard 2 laps to go.  Oh my god.  I thought I was dying and I still had 2 laps to go!? I could hear that LVG was in the lead, setting the pace.  I had a feeling that as I came around for another lap, I would get pulled.  But I didn't.

photo by B. White
I hung onto my friend's wheel for most of the last lap but she got away on the last set of barriers.  I had nothing left in me.  As I crossed the finish, my Garmin had ONE HOUR of racing.  That is the longest I've been in a CX race.  No wonder it was incredibly painful.

What...another lap?! - photo by B. White
With being wet and upset about my destroyed tubular, I changed and packed up the car to head home.  As I was leaving MD, there were a few liquor stores just before the 95 entrance ramp.  I needed to make the most of this trip...and picked up some hard-to-find New Belgium beer.  Tomorrow was another day of racing.

Making the most of my trip to MD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?