Enjoying the Off-Season
As I sit here watching the snow pile up on our back deck, I realized I haven't posted on my blog in a while. I've been too busy enjoying my off-season. So what have I been up too?
I guess the biggest news is that I resigned from MTBNJ after my CX season ended. I did not join another team in case you were wondering. It wasn't an easy decision to make but I want to pursue new adventures. I couldn't be the team member I have been in the past, giving 1000% to team happenings and support. I am grateful for all that the team has done for me and the opportunities they've given me to grow as a rider and racer. I will still be riding, racing and training with Cognition Coaching but now my focus will be on new adventures...
I've mentioned in the past that I'm not a fan of running. I can find a lot of reasons why I don't like running - it's boring, I get tired, I need a cane the next day. But it's a part of CX and I need to "train my weakness". In December I met with Natalie Johnston, a running and fitness coach. While I didn't expect her to make me fall in love with running, I hoped she would help me reach some of my running goals. During my first session, she analyzed my running techniques and gave me a lot of feedback on things to change that could improve my running.
She also told me that if I want to become a better runner, I need to run. So I've been doing that. I've invested in better sneakers, changed my stride, got some fancy running gear (including a new Garmin) and made some rad playlists to listen too. And while I don't love running (yet), I no longer hate it.
Since we had a mild December, I was able to ride the trails more than previous years. I got out for a few night rides and even tried a fat bike. The whole fat bike thing...not for me. Granted, my only experience was a night ride on some very rocky, technical trails - I can't say I loved it. Maybe now that we have snow I will give it another chance.
And for Christmas, Lance got me a dropper post and snazzy free-ride bike shoes to go with my new platform pedals. After riding with clipless pedals for so long, I've realized how much I depend on them to climb and get up on features. So something I've been working on is learning to ride again. Why you might ask? Stay tuned...
Just think, winter is 1/3 over (based on the calendar dates). So much more to enjoy during the off-season...
I guess the biggest news is that I resigned from MTBNJ after my CX season ended. I did not join another team in case you were wondering. It wasn't an easy decision to make but I want to pursue new adventures. I couldn't be the team member I have been in the past, giving 1000% to team happenings and support. I am grateful for all that the team has done for me and the opportunities they've given me to grow as a rider and racer. I will still be riding, racing and training with Cognition Coaching but now my focus will be on new adventures...
![]() |
| Riding rocks has become something I'm really enjoying |
Treadmill analysis - I tend to over-stride and a heel striker
![]() |
| Train your weakness |
And for Christmas, Lance got me a dropper post and snazzy free-ride bike shoes to go with my new platform pedals. After riding with clipless pedals for so long, I've realized how much I depend on them to climb and get up on features. So something I've been working on is learning to ride again. Why you might ask? Stay tuned...
Just think, winter is 1/3 over (based on the calendar dates). So much more to enjoy during the off-season...



Comments