Mooch Madness 2016
I love the Mooch Madness course. Climbing, rocks and descents. Last year I didn't get to race but had the opportunity to ride the course multiple times. This year I made it my first race of the season. The weeks leading up to Mooch Madness, I'd been exploring other bike-related activities and having fun just doing my own thing. So when I signed up for my first race, I had to be realistic about how I would feel and my expectations.
I had to remind myself that this was a long race - and not a CX race. I had three laps to race, and estimated it may take me about 2 hours. There were four women in my category - and eight total lined up between all of the Cat 1 and Pro women. We lined up in the back of the group and laughed before the horn blew.
I remember charging up the gravel road and following the Pro women into the singletrack. I could hear the other girls behind me, right on my wheel. I made a pass on the first climb but managed to fumble on the stream crossing, where I ate it terribly. Not only did I cause a bottleneck, I ripped open my elbow and was completely flustered.
I pulled it together but knew there was a technical section coming that would require me to relax. I couldn't. I watched the two Pro women go around me and another woman from my class. I was now in 2nd but had a small gap on the other ladies. Shortly after, the leader of our class was on the side of the trail - I assumed with a mechanical. I put my head down and pedaled hard.
Approaching the last large climb of the first lap, a male endurance racer came up on me. He said "hey, are you ok?". I said "yeah, why?". He replied "your elbow is really bloody". Meh. It felt fine. I continued to climb to the top of Ice Cream, slammed my dropper post, and bombed down. Wheee. I came into the 2nd lap feeling pretty good.
My 2nd lap was better. I was more relaxed with no one in sight. As I started to approach the last climb of the 2nd lap, the Pro Men were catching me. I was starting to feel fatigued and slowing down. I kept telling myself, "keep it together - one more lap". Anytime I had the opportunity to look over my shoulder, I was looking for the other women in my race. No sight of them.
My third lap was miserable. Exhaustion set in and I was riding sloppy. I was fumbling on lines I cleared the previous two laps. I was now in survival mode. I wanted this race to be over.
As I climbed up the fire road to the finish, I gave one last glimpse over my shoulder for 2nd place. I didn't see her and slugged on. I honestly think I could have walked faster, but I kept pedaling. I crossed the finish in 2 hours and 19 minutes and immediately headed back down to my car and the medic truck. Second place was just behind me, hunting for me. I later found out she flatted - and lost a lot of time fixing her flat.
Somehow, I managed to take the win for the Women's Cat 1 40+. The medics cleaned up my elbow, bandaged me up, and sent me on my way to the podium. Tough day but still smiling.
I had to remind myself that this was a long race - and not a CX race. I had three laps to race, and estimated it may take me about 2 hours. There were four women in my category - and eight total lined up between all of the Cat 1 and Pro women. We lined up in the back of the group and laughed before the horn blew.
I remember charging up the gravel road and following the Pro women into the singletrack. I could hear the other girls behind me, right on my wheel. I made a pass on the first climb but managed to fumble on the stream crossing, where I ate it terribly. Not only did I cause a bottleneck, I ripped open my elbow and was completely flustered.
![]() |
| Leading the Pain Train - photo by Luke Kelly |
![]() |
| Kick-A$$ photo by Luke Kelly |
My 2nd lap was better. I was more relaxed with no one in sight. As I started to approach the last climb of the 2nd lap, the Pro Men were catching me. I was starting to feel fatigued and slowing down. I kept telling myself, "keep it together - one more lap". Anytime I had the opportunity to look over my shoulder, I was looking for the other women in my race. No sight of them.
My third lap was miserable. Exhaustion set in and I was riding sloppy. I was fumbling on lines I cleared the previous two laps. I was now in survival mode. I wanted this race to be over.
As I climbed up the fire road to the finish, I gave one last glimpse over my shoulder for 2nd place. I didn't see her and slugged on. I honestly think I could have walked faster, but I kept pedaling. I crossed the finish in 2 hours and 19 minutes and immediately headed back down to my car and the medic truck. Second place was just behind me, hunting for me. I later found out she flatted - and lost a lot of time fixing her flat.
Somehow, I managed to take the win for the Women's Cat 1 40+. The medics cleaned up my elbow, bandaged me up, and sent me on my way to the podium. Tough day but still smiling.





Comments