Pocono Enduro 2016

This year I've been drifting away from XC racing and looking to try new things, including enduros.  I knew a little about enduros - that they were timed stages (like time trials) and the lowest cumulative time was the winner.  I heard they could be more downhill than climbing and sometimes the stages were gnarly.

I bailed on racing Ramsey's Revenge the day before the Pocono Enduro due to a busy week.  This gave me the opportunity to go up and preview the course with some friends.  It would be the first enduro for both myself and my friend, and we wanted to make sure we were ready for this.

We joined the group ride lead by Pocono Bike Club and climbed to the first stage.  We talked about some of the features in the trail, including a moss-covered rock (I called it a turtle shell) that we could roll over or go around.  As we traveled down the first stage, I felt good and was cornering in the "berms".  Until a loose one grabbed my front wheel and I went down.  Luckily, I was wearing a full-face helmet, which saved my face.  The second stage had some steeper descents and more flow.  And the third stage had a corner I over cooked (nearly hitting a tree) and a greasy rocky section.  I left there happy I had the chance to pre-ride and felt better about the race the next day.

I opted for the full-face helmet - and glad I did
I arrived early enough to get my number, timing chip (which I was confused on what wrist to wear it on), and grab the shuttle to the top of the course.  I wanted to check out the third stage since I came close to one of the trees and it rained - which could make the rocks uber slick.  I had a great run and went back to the car to wait for the rider meeting.

I'm not sure why I had a number when the timing chip on my wrist is what counted...
And then we waited.  The ladies would be the very last group to go.  Our group hung out, laughed, and tried to stay warm before catching the last shuttle to the top.  It was such a casual, laid-back atmosphere.

Grabbing the shuttle to the top

We waited our turns and then it was time for me to clock in for my first stage.  I put my wrist up, heard the beep, and pedaled my butt off.  At one point, my course intersected with another trail, which riders were on.  I yelled "rider back...get off the trail".  Unaware they were on the course, the riders casually moved.  I slowed down a bit, tried to contain my foul language and pedaled hard.  I got to the bottom a bit flustered about the run.


All of the ladies waited at the bottom to ride up together.  This was new to me - just casually riding slow, chatting and taking our time back to the top.  A good time to reflect with everyone on how our run went.  We got back to the top for the 2nd stage. I clocked in and nailed it - fast and flowy, I felt super confident on this run.  Yes!

As I was getting ready for the last stage, a friend warned me of spectators in the rock section with some yappy dogs.  I waited my turn, clocked in and pedaled.  I was cautious on the corner with the tree but totally fouled up the rocks.  I was distracted by the people on the side and fumbled.  I got off my bike and ran my a$$ off and remounted with hopes I didn't lose that much time and the rider behind me wouldn't catch me.

I felt lousy about my last run and knew it could really impact my overall time.  So it goes. I learned that these races are so short that one mess up can really impact it.  I waited at the bottom for all of the girls to finish.  And then I heard "Robin, you won!".  I couldn't believe it.



I really enjoyed the whole experience.  I liked that it was just me and the trail - but one slip could cost you.  I definitely will be trying more enduros this year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?