Wawayanda Spring Cleaning 2016
The forecast was looking grim for Sunday's race. The morning of the last day to pre-register, the forecast was calling for rain showers and temps in the lower 40s. I really didn't want to race. But I registered anyway.
Maybe my attitude going into the race was a sign of how the day would play out. I wasn't feeling that "competitive" edge I usually feel before a race. I was thinking about how wet the course would be - how slick roots and rocks could get. And how some of my worst crashes (and longest recoveries) were during wet, slick conditions.
I knew I needed a good workout and this was the motivation I needed. I arrived at the race knowing there would only be a handful of us racing Cat 1/Pro. I reminded myself not to blow myself up on the road prologue, to relax, and race my race.
I adjusted my saddle and rode around a little before we lined up. I was already wet and muddy at the start. I told myself "this is CX weather...". But it's May. And rather than a 45-minute race, this would be well over two hours. Ugh.
We were the last to go off and I watched two ladies launch off the start. I wasn't going to chase hard and figured I had plenty of time to race. I went into the woods in 3rd place and had the two ladies in my sight for the prologue and first lap. Then I lost sight of them.
And that is when I shut down. With no carrots in sight, I just rode. And I rode cautiously. I reminded myself I had plenty of riding days ahead of me and this was not the time to risk anything. I relaxed and had one of my best rides at Wawayanda - riding all the tech stuff with ease. I spun like a hamster on the fireroads, wanting the race to be over. My thumbs were numb, my jersey completely soaked, and I lost one of my Gu's on the trail.
As I rolled into the finish, I realized I was the last person racing. THE LAST PERSON. The promoters were already breaking down the finish area. Not the best feeling but as someone who's worked races, I get it. I crawled back to the car to clean up and put dry clothes on. I made it back just in time for the podium.
I picked up a large Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate for my drive home, blasted the heat, and thought about the day. Yeah, it sucked and I was miserable. But I got out there and did it. Tomorrow is a new day.
Maybe my attitude going into the race was a sign of how the day would play out. I wasn't feeling that "competitive" edge I usually feel before a race. I was thinking about how wet the course would be - how slick roots and rocks could get. And how some of my worst crashes (and longest recoveries) were during wet, slick conditions.
I knew I needed a good workout and this was the motivation I needed. I arrived at the race knowing there would only be a handful of us racing Cat 1/Pro. I reminded myself not to blow myself up on the road prologue, to relax, and race my race.
I adjusted my saddle and rode around a little before we lined up. I was already wet and muddy at the start. I told myself "this is CX weather...". But it's May. And rather than a 45-minute race, this would be well over two hours. Ugh.
We were the last to go off and I watched two ladies launch off the start. I wasn't going to chase hard and figured I had plenty of time to race. I went into the woods in 3rd place and had the two ladies in my sight for the prologue and first lap. Then I lost sight of them.
![]() |
| Navigating wet roots and rocks - thanks for the cheers and photo D. Clark |
As I rolled into the finish, I realized I was the last person racing. THE LAST PERSON. The promoters were already breaking down the finish area. Not the best feeling but as someone who's worked races, I get it. I crawled back to the car to clean up and put dry clothes on. I made it back just in time for the podium.
![]() |
| photo by H. Clapper |




Comments