Mountain Creek Spring Classic Pro GRT 2016

My first experience with downhill (DH) was in Fernie, BC during our honeymoon four years ago. Granted I was on my all-mountain XC bike, I was terrified to ride down anything and everything.  I never had the urge to ride a bike park or downhill again.  Until I tried it last summer - on a proper DH bike and with the guidance of Ben.  I loved it - and wanted more.  Unfortunately my CX season was starting and I would be training for the upcoming season.  I spent the winter and spring working on skills that would carry over to DH and purchased a season pass to Mountain Creek.

The idea of trying a DH race peaked my curiosity when I saw that Mountain Creek would be hosting a race Memorial Day weekend.  The weekend before the race I found out that some of the trails I had been practicing would not be in the Cat 2/3 race - including Asylum.   I wouldn't be able to pre-ride the course until the Friday of race weekend.  Ben spent the day going over sections and lines on the course.  I felt ready for the race on Sunday.


Race day morning, I got in a few runs from top to bottom during our slotted pre-ride time.  After, I asked for details on where the pre-race meeting would be.  Seems no one could give me an answer.  Since this was my first DH race, I was unsure of how my start order would be - was it based on my category? My plate number? As I was looking around the lift, I noticed start times posted.  Like a road TT, each of us had a designated start time.  Mine was listed with a few other girls.  I happened to see one girl on line and asked "oh, we race at 1 pm?".  She said, "you're Cat 1?".  I replied with "no, I'm Cat 2/3".  She and another gentleman in line then told me that my category would be starting in 20 minutes and there must have been a mistake.  I frantically grabbed my stuff and loaded onto the lift.

Upon arriving up to, I went immediately to an official and explained my situation.  Indeed, they had me in the wrong category and I would be racing shortly.  I went over to the shade while the officials delayed the start of the race and stayed calm.  When it was time to line up, my nerves kicked in.

Starting gate
I was the last of the five girls to go.  I got into the starting gate and watched the countdown.  And before I knew it, I was racing.  I had a good start and had great lines through the first section.  As I got into the open dirt section, I drifted into a line I didn't want to be in.  Rather than fight the bike, I just let it go.  I pedaled when I could and remembered to breathe.

photo by L. Dunn
Just before the Red Bull split, I caught one of the ladies in front of me.  Luckily there were two lines - and I had the option to ride my preferred line to get around her.  I continued pedaling and just before we entered the last field, I caught another lady.  I considered passing her but I was unsure of what could be in the grass.  I was scared to take any risks this far down and followed her wheel.

I finished my first DH race with a huge smile.  I heard my name and time and knew I finished in 3rd place or better.  I waited for Ben to finish and Lance to come down the mountain.  I couldn't wait to find out how the other ladies did.  I started talking to one of the girls in my category - she said our results were posted live.  I checked.  My name was not listed! Based on my experiences with racing XC and CX, I went immediately over to the US Cycling official at the finish.   Dealing with the protest and US Cycling was one of the most unpleasant experiences of racing I've ever had - and I wrote to US Cycling about my experience.  Long story short, my results were finally fixed 4 hours later and I finished 3rd, only 11 seconds off 1st place.


So much to learn and work on but I am certainly looking forward to my next DH race.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?