Granogue 2016

CX season has started, at least for me.  I kicked off the 2016 season with one of my favorite races, Granogue.  I decided to registered for the Master's class this year and was stoked to see the number of ladies signed up.

The course was incredible.  I arrived early to get in a few pre-race laps and was totally loving it - plenty of short punchy climbs rewarded with some fun descents.  And my 1st flyover!

I watched a few of the earlier races and then got ready for my own.  I don't know if it's just experience or racing new faces, but I was relaxed.  I didn't have the pre-race jitters I've had in the past.  I found the group of ladies at the gridding area, exchanged laughs and made my way to the first row.


At the blow of the whistle, I sprinted hard and had a decent start on the pavement.  Then I started to see more ladies around me, some passing me as we entered the grass.  I watched a few of the ladies ride away and thought, "crap, I'm falling off the leaders".  I made some gains on the technical turns after the flyover and started to move up.

Master's start - photo by B. Boyle
Eventually I made my way to 3rd place, closing in on 2nd place.  I was able then to make a pass and move into the lead.  I remember seeing the lap card with "3 to go" and thought "can I hold onto this lead".  My friend was close behind in 2nd and I knew she was coming for me.

Flyover fun!
I rode clean but knew I had to constantly push.  On the last lap I could see 2nd and 3rd place on the hunt for me.  Anytime I had the opportunity to coast or recover, I kept pedaling.  I ended up with the win, but only by a few seconds.

photo by B. Boyle
That was one of the best races I've had in a while - because I was actually racing people.  Last year I spent a lot of time by myself in a race, which can sometimes put me in a funk.  I loved the excitement and motivation to keep pushing.  This is going to be a tough but fun year.


A huge thanks to all the volunteers and especially Paul and Lisa for making this Granogue by far my most favorite.  And, to top it off? My win got me a pair of my FAVORITE shoes, any Danskos I wanted.  EEEEEEE!
Lots of awesome goodies from the promoter/sponsors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?