Day 1
I knew that the course would be similar to previous years - it was just a matter of where the barriers were and how dusty the course would be. I still arrived early to get in few laps before the first race. Just as I expected, but the barriers were in the infamous "mud" area (note: it was not muddy). I picked up my number, watched the little Belgium's race, and got ready for my race.
I'm starting to know who the ladies are in my group - we all hung out at the staging area, waiting for our call-ups. I picked my spot and waited for the countdown. I've always hated the "traffic light" starts at Nittany - but this year they said to start on the whistle.
 |
| Day 1 Master's field - photo by .S. Roberts |
I heard the whistle blow and nailed my start. I was third going into the first set of turns. And then the leader went down on a turn I know well (I crashed on it a few years ago). Somehow 2nd place and myself got around her without running over her. I asked if she was ok and we continued on. Shortly after, I moved into the lead.
I'm in the lead! Wait...I'm in the lead in the beginning of the race...and someone is on my wheel. I could hear her breathing. What do I do? In my previous years of racing, I usually was out there by myself. I had no one threatening me or possibly to work with. This was all new to me. I tried to say "let's work together" but since I'm not a roadie, I wasn't sure how to do this. Eventually I noticed she wasn't on my wheel and I kept pushing.
 |
| photo by S. Roberts |
 |
| Pain face - photo by M. Greidus |
I heard the bell for our last lap. Halfway through our last lap, I looked over my shoulder. And there it was - a train of women, all incredibly strong, getting closer to me. I remember mustering "Fck...they're going to catch me". I got caught on the last 1/2 of the lap,
finishing 2nd. Holy. That was a race indeed.
Day 2
Sprinkles on my drive to the race. Would it stay dry for my race? I got in two laps as soon as I arrived. The log was there - and I considered riding it but I didn't want to take any chances during my race. The air was heavy and felt damp. I didn't really have any concerns about the course as it was reverse direction from Day 1.
We went to the staging area and one of the ladies mentioned "I feel rain drops". As we waited for our countdown, the rain started. This could be...interesting. I was ok with wet and mud. Well, maybe except the infamous "mud pit". We were told to go on the traffic light - I stared at it. It turned green and I stomped on my pedal. I missed but kept pushing through the start. I moved into 2nd place in the beginning of the race.
 |
| The calm before the storm - photo by S. Roberts |
And stayed in 2nd. There was a train of 3 of us. The rain was coming down harder. I couldn't see with my glasses and corners were starting to get greasy. I finally tossed my glasses into the pit...ah I could see. For the moment.
 |
| The last of the log - photo by B. Boyle |
I'm not sure if it was the rain in my eyes or just the lack of oxygen, but somethings were a bit blurry. I could see the leader in front of me and tried to stay on her wheel for as long as I could. With her power and graceful cornering, I couldn't hold on. I fell back with a gap between us. And then I noticed there was a gap between myself and 3rd. I knew if I raced clean and smart, I would safely
finish 2nd.
 |
| When you hear your name as you approach the finish, you smile - photo by B. Boyle |
Comments