Caffeinated CX 2016
When I was planning out my CX season, I made sure I included Caffeinated CX. Last year was my first time racing this venue and I absolutely loved it. The course venue is the Gloucester County Fairgrounds and is known to be quite technical. This year was no different.
My friend who rides for Caffeinated told me that they changed the course a bit. I was worried they made it "easier" but upon my arrival, I realized it still was a CX made for a mountain biker. With the week's drizzle leading up to the race, there were some corners and off-camber sections that required skilled handling. The small steps leading up to the sand run-up were still in the course. I was psyched for this race.
Due to the small number of ladies racing both Elite and Master's, they combined our races so we were all out on the course at the same time. The Elite ladies lined up in front of us Master's, and had a 30-second gap on the start.
The official blew the whistle and we charged up the hill. I was behind the 1st place woman, who had a phenomenal start and was riding strong. I passed her just as we entered the first wooded section. I could see the ladies over my shoulder and knew I needed to ride clean. If I was going to ride the step, I needed to do it right. I did. I knew some people could ride the sand run-up. I wasn't going to risk it and ran it. I could still see the ladies behind me but started to see the Elite women ahead. I had carrots to chase.
I caught up with the Elite women on the 3rd lap, made sure not to interfere with their race, and continued plowing towards the end. I was making a larger gap on the rest of my race which relaxed me a bit. I heard the bell for the last lap, which was bitter sweet. I ended up finishing first for the Master's women.
Kudos to all the Caffeinated volunteers - it did not disappoint and looking forward to 2017!
My friend who rides for Caffeinated told me that they changed the course a bit. I was worried they made it "easier" but upon my arrival, I realized it still was a CX made for a mountain biker. With the week's drizzle leading up to the race, there were some corners and off-camber sections that required skilled handling. The small steps leading up to the sand run-up were still in the course. I was psyched for this race.
Due to the small number of ladies racing both Elite and Master's, they combined our races so we were all out on the course at the same time. The Elite ladies lined up in front of us Master's, and had a 30-second gap on the start.
The official blew the whistle and we charged up the hill. I was behind the 1st place woman, who had a phenomenal start and was riding strong. I passed her just as we entered the first wooded section. I could see the ladies over my shoulder and knew I needed to ride clean. If I was going to ride the step, I needed to do it right. I did. I knew some people could ride the sand run-up. I wasn't going to risk it and ran it. I could still see the ladies behind me but started to see the Elite women ahead. I had carrots to chase.
I caught up with the Elite women on the 3rd lap, made sure not to interfere with their race, and continued plowing towards the end. I was making a larger gap on the rest of my race which relaxed me a bit. I heard the bell for the last lap, which was bitter sweet. I ended up finishing first for the Master's women.
Kudos to all the Caffeinated volunteers - it did not disappoint and looking forward to 2017!



Comments