Cooper River CX 2016
Cooper River (CRCX) is flat. And tends to have long stretches that require a lot of power. Typically not my favorite type of CX course. But I know what i need to work on. So it's good training for me. There were only a handful of the Master's women but some of my usual competition. It was going to be a good race.
As always, I arrived early enough to get out on the course before the first race. Since the course was oriented east west, the sun glare made it difficult to see some of the turns and how the course flowed. I worked on some different lines and watched the first race. I've always hated the pavement to grass transition at the start of the CRCX. This year was no different. But while watching the grass to pavement transition before the finish also had me a bit nervous. Plenty of men went down or crashed into the barrier on that corner. Two things I wanted to be careful of.
As our women's field lined up, we took note of the corners and gave each other advice and encouragement. I waited for the whistle to blow and took a few deep breaths. I saw the official puff up his cheeks and was ready to charge. I somehow got the whole shot going onto the grass and was in the lead. With 2nd place right on my wheel
I pushed hard through the first lap, trying to recover at each end of the course where there was more handling and "tech". I could still hear 2nd place behind me. Again I was in the front when I knew I couldn't be in the front the entire race. What should I do? If I back off and let her ahead of me, I could ride her wheel. But she is so strong that I may lose her. This is where I'm still learning.
She eventually got in front of me. And I managed to stay on her wheel for laps 4 and 5. In my head, my plan was to follow her out onto the pavement, hopefully having enough left to sprint finish. However, on lap 5 (our last lap) we were starting to lap other riders. And that traffic added some stress and gaps between she and I. Coming into the last corner there were two about-to-be-lapped riders side by side. NOOOOOO I thought. By no means was I going to risk their race or mine to try to get out on the pavement with the leader. She snuck through and rode away. I never caught her.
It was bittersweet finishing 2nd. I was disappointed that I got that far only to have my plan backfire. But I'm happy that I was able to hold onto her wheel for the two laps when in the past I've never been able to catch her.
As always, I arrived early enough to get out on the course before the first race. Since the course was oriented east west, the sun glare made it difficult to see some of the turns and how the course flowed. I worked on some different lines and watched the first race. I've always hated the pavement to grass transition at the start of the CRCX. This year was no different. But while watching the grass to pavement transition before the finish also had me a bit nervous. Plenty of men went down or crashed into the barrier on that corner. Two things I wanted to be careful of.
I pushed hard through the first lap, trying to recover at each end of the course where there was more handling and "tech". I could still hear 2nd place behind me. Again I was in the front when I knew I couldn't be in the front the entire race. What should I do? If I back off and let her ahead of me, I could ride her wheel. But she is so strong that I may lose her. This is where I'm still learning.
She eventually got in front of me. And I managed to stay on her wheel for laps 4 and 5. In my head, my plan was to follow her out onto the pavement, hopefully having enough left to sprint finish. However, on lap 5 (our last lap) we were starting to lap other riders. And that traffic added some stress and gaps between she and I. Coming into the last corner there were two about-to-be-lapped riders side by side. NOOOOOO I thought. By no means was I going to risk their race or mine to try to get out on the pavement with the leader. She snuck through and rode away. I never caught her.
It was bittersweet finishing 2nd. I was disappointed that I got that far only to have my plan backfire. But I'm happy that I was able to hold onto her wheel for the two laps when in the past I've never been able to catch her.



Comments