Hippo CX 2016

Since Lance rides for Pure Energy, I've been adopted by the team.  So when I was asked if I would help out for Hippo CX, of course I said yes.  I also said I would race - but in the Master's category, since I decided this season that was the category I'd stick with.

Long story short, a few days before the race, I was asked if I would move to the Elite category.  Since I am not pursuing any type of series cup and it would help out the promoter, I said yes.  But as race day got closer, I started to doubt myself.  Especially when I saw who else registered in the Elite category - some extremely strong racers.  This year I'm not an Elite racer.

I grumbled and whined about moving categories.  Some of it because I doubted myself and what I was capable of.  Also because I like the earlier time for Master's races versus racing late in the day.  But I was committed to helping out Pure Energy and the promoters, so I put on my "big girl pants" and dealt with it.


The course was a little greasy from the rain leading up to race day.  It was still a power course though - which isn't always my favorite.  I was hoping that the conditions would be sloppy enough to slow my field down and require more handling skills.  There were a few corners that could be tricky and an off-camber section that might potentially be to my benefit.

I worked registration and caught up with many friends before my race.  I debated on whether to put a bike in the pit but figured it would be good practice.  Our race would have the whole course to ourselves - and I knew that with only 6 of us, it may be a lonely race once we got a few laps in.

We casually lined up and at the blow of the whistle, I sprinted off.  I remember getting out front on one of the corners and drifting.  My fear was that I would clip a wheel but I held on.  I got passed going into the descent and knew I could potentially gain back a spot on the climb and off-camber sections, and I did.

photo by F. Brown
I don't remember much of the race other than when I heard "six laps to go" I nearly cried.  While there were no steep climbs, the 2nd half of the course drained me.  I remember hearing lots of cheers as I came into the barriers and passed the beer tent.  This helped me push through all EIGHT laps and keep pedaling  to finish 2nd.  It also helped hearing the guys rock out and play some really awesome classic punk.


I really doubted myself going into this race - but I dug deep and pushed through. I'm grateful for my friends who pushed me and encouraged me on the day I really needed it.  Thank you to my Pure Energy family for hosting a great day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?