Crossasaurus Awesome 2016

I've heard great things about Crossasaurus Awesome CX race hosted by Philadelphia Ciclismo.  This year I made sure to put it on my calendar as a not-to-miss race.   Since the PACX Master's category starts at age 45, I had to register in the Elite class.  I had some personal goals but most importantly, have fun.

Since I had never raced this venue, I arrived early to get in a few laps in between races.  I was fortunate to grab a parking spot near the pit and sand area.  Sunshine and a breeze dried out the course.  It had some fast swooping corners, some wooded technical sections, steps, a drop, and a small sand section.


All of the women were staging and racing at the same time.  Since this was my first PACX race, I had last call up.  I was the only one in the 2nd row, which was very lonely.  I lined up behind my friend's wheel and listened to the official give instructions.

The whistle blew and we were off.  The first corner was around a tree with debris scattered.  I nearly ate it on the pre-ride and had concerns about our field making it through.  I forgot how fast the elite races start and found myself 2nd from last in the group.

photo by T. Burrows
I hung on for the first lap.  By the 2nd lap, I made a few passes and moved up.  I tried to work with another rider but she dropped off due to mechanical issues.  I was able to grab onto my friend's wheel in front and wanted to work with her to catch the girl in front of her.  But I had nothing to offer.  We both pedaled and made another pass.  At this point I thought maybe I was in 5th place.

photo by T. Burrows
I tried to stay on my friend's wheel for the remainder of the race but just couldn't hang on.  I left everything out there and crossed the finish.  After the race we found out a friend who was in the lead group had to pit twice, bumping our spots up.  I ended up finishing 4th.


paid out in $2 bills!
I stayed for the remainder of the day to watch and cheer on friends.   The overall vibe of the day was awesome.  Definitely a great race and I'm looking forward to next year.

Thanks Philly Ciclismo for the Rubber Soul
Schlitz the Bulldog provided lots of post-race love
Miss Georgia of Easton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?