Kutztown MAC 2016
I'm about 1/2 way through my CX season. And I'm starting to feel it - mentally and physically. Previous years I've ended my season mid- to late-November because well, I was tired and ready to take a break. This year with Nationals on my calendar, I need to keep pushing.
Kutztown has never been my favorite course - it always seems cold and windy. It's pancake flat and more of a power course. So when I got up Saturday morning, was it normal for me to feel "meh" about racing?
With the lower temps and wind, I lathered on embro and pulled out my winter skinsuit. I packed everything in case it was frigid cold. The sun was shining and surprisingly the wind wasn't too bad. I got in two laps before the first race and tried to set my trainer up between the cars to be blocked from the wind.
We lined up at the start and the sun felt awesome. We chatted about "where is everyone", missing a lot of our usual ladies. At the blow of the whistle, I bobbled a bit but pulled it together to move into 2nd place out of the prologue. I stayed on the leader's wheel, trying to ride smooth and hide from the wind.
Coming into the 2nd lap, I offered to pull and work together with the leader. She happily agreed and we were able to put a larger gap on the field. While we both never said it out loud, we used this for training for Nationals. We talked about some of the corners and lines. We rotated with each other for the next few laps.
Coming into the bell lap, I pulled behind to 2nd place. I was able to stay on her wheel through the shorter straights and corners. The longer sections I felt. And the last longer section, she pulled away. I tried to push but had nothing in me to hold on.
Finished 2nd at Kutztown. And since this was the last race of the MAC series, awards were given out for the entire season. I ended up finishing 2nd overall.
While I know we'll race together through Nationals, it was an amazing season chasing, battling, and learning.
Kutztown has never been my favorite course - it always seems cold and windy. It's pancake flat and more of a power course. So when I got up Saturday morning, was it normal for me to feel "meh" about racing?
With the lower temps and wind, I lathered on embro and pulled out my winter skinsuit. I packed everything in case it was frigid cold. The sun was shining and surprisingly the wind wasn't too bad. I got in two laps before the first race and tried to set my trainer up between the cars to be blocked from the wind.
We lined up at the start and the sun felt awesome. We chatted about "where is everyone", missing a lot of our usual ladies. At the blow of the whistle, I bobbled a bit but pulled it together to move into 2nd place out of the prologue. I stayed on the leader's wheel, trying to ride smooth and hide from the wind.
Coming into the 2nd lap, I offered to pull and work together with the leader. She happily agreed and we were able to put a larger gap on the field. While we both never said it out loud, we used this for training for Nationals. We talked about some of the corners and lines. We rotated with each other for the next few laps.
![]() |
| photo by J. McClure |
Coming into the bell lap, I pulled behind to 2nd place. I was able to stay on her wheel through the shorter straights and corners. The longer sections I felt. And the last longer section, she pulled away. I tried to push but had nothing in me to hold on.
Finished 2nd at Kutztown. And since this was the last race of the MAC series, awards were given out for the entire season. I ended up finishing 2nd overall.
While I know we'll race together through Nationals, it was an amazing season chasing, battling, and learning.
![]() |
| photo by S. Amato |




Comments