With the MAC series over, I've been looking to fill my calendar with some new-to-me venues in order to keep pushing towards
Nationals. Lucky for me, the
PACX series keeps going to mid-December. This past weekend I headed to West Chester, PA for their 2nd CX race of the series.
I arrived early enough to get in two laps before the first race. I heard the course had some climbing and that was true. Some off-camber sections and flowy turns. But that wind. This was a race that I wanted to hide if I could. Since it was blustery cold, I sat in my car in between races rather than watch. Oh, and I've now decided it's not necessary to arrive uber-early only to sit in my car (rather than spectate).
I rolled over to the start, noticing how much tape was down from the wind. A bunch of us huddled together to stay warm since we were out in an open field.
 |
| Pre-race huddle - photo by B. White |
We lined up, waiting until the 1-minute warning to shed our layers. The start climbed up a hill and I knew I couldn't blow myself up with the first effort. We charged up the hill at the whistle and I tried to stay close behind the ladies in front of me.
 |
| photo by B. White |
I eventually caught up to a group of three in front of me (3rd through 5th place). Third and fourth place ladies pulled a bit ahead and I stayed on the 5th place wheel going onto the pavement into the wind. I made a pass and put in a strong effort to catch up to 3rd and 4th place.
 |
| photo by B. White |
The wind was as sketchy as ever. On an off-camber section near the pit, I felt the gust grab my front wheel and watched it jerk. Somehow I managed to stay upright but startled by what happened.
 |
| photo by B. White |
I was never able to catch the two ladies in front of me. Riding by myself into the wind definitely took it's toll on me. I crossed the finish in
5th place.
Comments