Bum Thumb Update
An update since my last post about my #bumthumb. We had a long-weekend getaway planned prior to my injury. It was the perfect distraction leading up to my surgery. We headed to Cleveland to see a Yankees/Indians game, spent almost 7 hours at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, and hit the Christmas Story House on our way home.
During this time I was also researching all the UCL surgery and rehab links I could. I also reached out to Chloe Woodruff for moral support and advice. Sort of weird, but I met her at the Starbucks in Snowshoe during Nationals. I already followed her on IG and knew of her UCL injury. Hearing from her and where she was in her recovery gave me some hope for my return to the bike.
My surgery was scheduled for 11 am at the Somerset Ambulatory Surgical Center. I arrived early for check-in. I eventually made my way in to the prep area, where nurses checked my vitals and got me ready for surgery. The staff were incredibly friendly and funny - joking with both Lance and I about how I really hurt my hand. My surgeon, Dr. Boretz, talked to us before heading in to the OR room about how surgery may go - since I had a previous injury to the ligament, there was a chance I may need partial or whole reconstruction.
I remember getting on the gurney, hearing some pop-rap music (obviously nothing I listen to) and the staff making me laugh. I had a funny taste in the back of my throat and that was it. I woke up in the recovery area with no concept of how long I was out. Lance came in and said I was out for a little over an hour. Dr. Boretz came in and told me that my ligament was in good shape so my surgery went well, with no reconstruction needed. He asked me if I wanted a script for pain meds. Prior to surgery I said no. But I opted to take a few just in case.
My lower arm was numb so I wasn't feeling any pain. I was more lively after this surgery than when I had my wisdom teeth out - so Lance and I had lunch on our way home and I relaxed on the couch. Later that night we got ice cream, which makes everything better.
The next day wasn't so comfortable. Everything was wearing off and I was starting to hurt. I watched a lot of TV and tried to read to distract myself. By Wednesday night I was almost in tears from the pain.
The next few days were pretty bad for me. I was sore, uncomfortable, and really just in a bad place. I couldn't look at any social media because seeing my friends riding hurt too. I didn't want to talk to anyone despite the numerous "checking in" texts. Sorry if I was aloof. I started to feel better by Saturday and almost "normal" by Sunday.
I had my follow-up with Dr. Boretz this past Wednesday, a week after my surgery. I hadn't seen the incision or what my hand looked like since it was bundled up in a splint and dressing. I don't know how many stitches there are but apparently it's healing nicely. I was able to wash my hand and arm before re-dressing in a temporary splint. I have an appointment with a CHT on Monday to get a new splint and start OT.
I still have some time to recover ahead of me. I'm trying to stay positive and know "this too shall pass".
During this time I was also researching all the UCL surgery and rehab links I could. I also reached out to Chloe Woodruff for moral support and advice. Sort of weird, but I met her at the Starbucks in Snowshoe during Nationals. I already followed her on IG and knew of her UCL injury. Hearing from her and where she was in her recovery gave me some hope for my return to the bike.
My surgery was scheduled for 11 am at the Somerset Ambulatory Surgical Center. I arrived early for check-in. I eventually made my way in to the prep area, where nurses checked my vitals and got me ready for surgery. The staff were incredibly friendly and funny - joking with both Lance and I about how I really hurt my hand. My surgeon, Dr. Boretz, talked to us before heading in to the OR room about how surgery may go - since I had a previous injury to the ligament, there was a chance I may need partial or whole reconstruction.
I remember getting on the gurney, hearing some pop-rap music (obviously nothing I listen to) and the staff making me laugh. I had a funny taste in the back of my throat and that was it. I woke up in the recovery area with no concept of how long I was out. Lance came in and said I was out for a little over an hour. Dr. Boretz came in and told me that my ligament was in good shape so my surgery went well, with no reconstruction needed. He asked me if I wanted a script for pain meds. Prior to surgery I said no. But I opted to take a few just in case.
My lower arm was numb so I wasn't feeling any pain. I was more lively after this surgery than when I had my wisdom teeth out - so Lance and I had lunch on our way home and I relaxed on the couch. Later that night we got ice cream, which makes everything better.
The next day wasn't so comfortable. Everything was wearing off and I was starting to hurt. I watched a lot of TV and tried to read to distract myself. By Wednesday night I was almost in tears from the pain.
The next few days were pretty bad for me. I was sore, uncomfortable, and really just in a bad place. I couldn't look at any social media because seeing my friends riding hurt too. I didn't want to talk to anyone despite the numerous "checking in" texts. Sorry if I was aloof. I started to feel better by Saturday and almost "normal" by Sunday.
I had my follow-up with Dr. Boretz this past Wednesday, a week after my surgery. I hadn't seen the incision or what my hand looked like since it was bundled up in a splint and dressing. I don't know how many stitches there are but apparently it's healing nicely. I was able to wash my hand and arm before re-dressing in a temporary splint. I have an appointment with a CHT on Monday to get a new splint and start OT.
I still have some time to recover ahead of me. I'm trying to stay positive and know "this too shall pass".





Comments