The People You Meet...
When I last wrote, I was six weeks post surgery and going to occupational therapy (OT) twice a week. I do not know how other facilities are set up, but my OT had a table where two to three patients would sit around while the Certified Hand Therapist (CHT) worked with each of us.
As I sat at the table, I would talk with the others. Many would ask “so, why are you here?” And I would tell my story. I fell while riding my bike. And as I started to hear other’s stories, it put things into perspective for me. My injury really wasn’t a big deal.
I met a young gentleman who suffered a broken wrist from a car accident. His hand was on the horn as the airbag deployed. He had been going to OT for a few months.
A women I met fractured her wrist when she fell roller skating with her kids. The fracture was more complicated than the doctors originally thought and she was awaiting to hear if she would need surgery.
Two men were injured while at work. One man’s hand was completely crushed and he had limited use of his fingers. The other man was a sanitation worker who’s arm got caught in the rear section of the garbage truck. He spent two weeks in the hospital recovering from the injury and had multiple surgeries prior to arriving at OT.
Then there was a kid I met. Let’s call him Phil. I noticed Phil was working on his fine-motor skills. He had limited use of one side body. Based on Phil’s conversations with the CHT, I knew he had been coming a while. He had a great sense of humor and was very friendly. I was curious as to why Phil was at OT but due to confidentiality, my CHT could not tell me why he was there.
It was a few weeks after I met Phil that I figured it out. I recognized his mom and remembered the story I’d heard. When I got home found more on social media. Phil suffered a traumatic brain injury the year prior from a freak accident. Knowing what happened and how far he’s come since his injury is just amazing.
I spent the last four weeks at therapy during the same time slot as Phil. We laughed together and shared silly stories. I watched him work hard to progress. I knew my discharge date was approaching and I would miss my time with Phil.
I spent a total of 11 weeks at OT and was discharged on November 2, 2017. And I learned that Phil would also “graduate” that night.



Comments