Just Keep Pedaling...Spring 2018 Update

I realized I hadn’t updated my blog in a very long time. Lots going on - mostly bike related, specifically NICA.

We are in our second season of NICA, and Princeton Progressions grew in size. At the start of the season, we hit the athlete limit for a composite team, and were asked to split into two teams. Mike took the role of Head Coach for the new Central NJ Trail Terminators Composite. With Ben traveling for National NICA and BICP, Fred and I stepped up as Head Coaches for Princeton Progressions.




We all know here in New Jersey (and much of the east coast), winter was rough. Our weekend rides were either cancelled due to snow, rain, or both. We did get creative with some of the practices, going to the climbing gym and getting our workouts in at spin class. But Mother Nature didn’t let up come spring. Our first race in early April was postponed due to weather and trail conditions. The rescheduled date almost didn’t happen due to rain and frigid temperatures. Race #4 Gloucester Gasser is scheduled for this weekend. Will we need rafts and life preservers?

Other NICA news - I have had the opportunity to coach OTB 101 to our league a few times and even got to the PA Leader’s Summit to assist with OTB 201. And... I was recently asked to join the NJICL Core Crew as a Coach Supporter. I’m ready for the challenge and looking forward to the position. I’ll be attending the National Conference in Bentonville, Arkansas this June in order to step up my game as a Coach Supporter.




While I’ve devoted much of my spring to getting #morekidsonbikes, I’m also getting more women on bikes. I was given the opportunity to assist with coaching at the Ray’s Women’s Weekend this past February. It was amazing to work with ladies who I look up to and inspire me. I’ve also done some Women’s Fundamental clinics locally for Cognition Coaching.




So yeah, I’m riding but not like I used to. My rides are when I can fit them in and how I feel that day. Weather also plays a role. That’s just how it is these days. And I’m ok with that. I bought a BMX bike and have been playing on that. I know I’ll get in some longer saddle time and riding once summer rolls around.


As for my own racing...I’ve put that on hold. Most of the Enduros and DH races I had on my calendar conflict with NICA races and events. So it goes. Things happen for a reason. The local BMX races will start up soon and I’ll try those.

I’ve opted not to return to Mountain Bike Camp. I am not going to get into details here but it was time to move on. I bought a MTB Parks Pass and hope to get to some new parks and enjoy my summer vacation, something I haven’t done since I started teaching.

Happy riding!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?