Getting Back Out There

I was just getting a taste for enduro racing when I had my bumthumb incident.  I missed out on the fall 2017 enduro and CX season.  In 2018 and most of 2019, NICA races and life conflicted with racing enduro.  So be it. 

But after talking to a friend who's been racing the past two years in both the MASS and ESC series, I decided to enter a race.  While there was an enduro race somewhat local (the ESC Mountain Creek), I opted for the MASS Raven Enduro.  While not exactly close to home, it was closer to my dad - so I made a weekend of it, spending some time with him (BTW he's doing great all things considered).

I have never ridden the trails where the Raven was.  I knew some of the trails were in the Transylvania Epic - and there would be plenty of rocks.  Which I love.  I was a bit nervous that I wouldn't know anyone there to pre-ride with but I managed to hook up with a friend who also raced it last year.

The course was posted as 6 stages at 18 miles with plenty of climbing.  While I knew I wouldn't be timed on the climbs and transfers, it was still more miles than I have been riding.  Would my legs be able to handle it?


After leaving my dad's, I drove towards State College (about 15 miles beyond the race) an arrived at what appeared to be someone's house.  Well, it was.  Some of the course was on private property while other parts were in Bald Eagle State Park.  I got ready, talked to some people nearby who already got in a few miles.  I met my friend and we started our pre-ride.




I got the run down on most of the stages - rocks and loose dirt (apparently the locals call it "Moon Dust") with some steeps.  We rode Stages 1, 3, 4, and 6.  We opted to call it a day.  As I was shedding my elbow and knee pads, the family next to me told me I should really go back and pre-ride Stage 5.  Ugh. That meant climbing up...again. I geared up again, and trudged up the 25-minute climb.  As I got to the bottom, I was happy I rode it (thank you Eckman's).


Sunday morning I arrived earlier to pick up my race plate and take my time getting ready.  I knew it was going to be a long day.  The amateur women are always the last to start.  We didn't start our climb until 10:30ish and I remember being in the start gate at 11:57.  That's a lot of standing around - but at least I had great company.  There were 4 of us women who stuck together and bonded (one decided to do her own thing).  That's what I love about enduros - they seem so much more laid back and friendlier than XC races.

Rather than go through how each stage went, I'll just say I didn't feel confident about my rides.  While I managed to stay upright and clear almost everything, I made some mistakes and was feeling super fatigued by stage 4.  But I loved the course and I wasn't the last person to finish (but darn close). 

I managed to snarf down my bunless burger while we awaited results.  It was a good time to see other and catch up on how their day went.  I was told by someone I won my category.  Super excited indeed.  But more importantly, I had fun, rode sick trails, and made new friends.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?